NE Empire Express 2014 - Portland

JohnD1956

JD - I know you are planning on moving quickly. What route are you planning on taking and when? Our present plan is leaving Sunday, July 20, heading south to Fargo, then west, spending the first night in western ND, then Coeur D'Alene, ID and pull into Portland on Tuesday.

JD - I know you are planning on moving quickly... .

I'm afraid we will be a bit south of your route Derek. I'm riding with Ed ( summer67) and we will be missing Ted and Trina Sweet, and Ken ( KAD36) who could not make the trip this time. We have a stop west of Cleveland for dinner with some BCA friends who also cannot make the trip. Then we travel west on Rt 80 to Reno, and make a right, with a "stop when we can go no further" plan, hoping to arrive in Susanville CA. by Monday night. Tuesday AM to Dan Cook's place and Tuesday evening in Portland. Eleven states in 4 1/2 days. Linda files out to Portland Wednesday.

John...Hauling home and fixing the Riv depleted travel funds I had saved for 2014 BCA meets...but there's always next year.

Ed...Riv arrived a 9:30am (EDT) today (Sunday)...she's wicked dirty but now safe on my property. Tranny fix takes place week after next.

I'm afraid we will be a bit south of your route Derek. I'm riding with Ed ( summer67) and we will be missing Ted and Trina Sweet, and Ken ( KAD36) who could not make the trip this time. We have a stop west of Cleveland for dinner with some BCA friends who also cannot make the trip. Then we travel west on Rt 80 to Reno, and make a right, with a "stop when we can go no further" plan, hoping to arrive in Susanville CA. by Monday night. Tuesday AM to Dan Cook's place and Tuesday evening in Portland. Eleven states in 4 1/2 days. Linda files out to Portland Wednesday.

How far west of Cleveland?

• 2 weeks later...
Drive safe boys. Looking to see you all there.

Heartland Hooligans hitting the road Sat. AM.

Taking your time, or getting there early? We leave Sunday morning with a late Tuesday arrival. Of course, we are driving modern, so that may help. See you soon!

Saturday, July 18, 2014

Just crossed into Indiana. Had a good dinner last nite with good Buick friends Bill and Mollye:

They took us to Mutt and Jeffs tavern for the perch special. Great dinner and better times with good friends. Thanks guys.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

John, what are you traveling in? I saw a green 67 Skylark conv yesterday when I was on the road to above Buffalo yesterday. Also saw a tan 75 LeSabre conv and a gorgeous 96ish Roadmaster on the trip. In my mind I had them all heading to the national lol.

Guest my3buicks

I saw you then!!!!!!! I figured the way the backend was down it was loaded for a long trip. 67's are notorious for that.

7/19 14

Keith, thats funny. We waved to KAD36 When we passed his office, & you saw us instead! What a coincidence!

Anyhow we are 80+ miles into Iowa. Shooting for anyplace west of Des Moines tonite. And real gas is only 3.69 per gallon. Imagine that! Averaging 17 mpg on ethanol up to now. Back to ya-all later

Guest Redwind89

It's a combo of both. Are you still on schedule? Keep driving safe and I'll see you in a month or so.

7/20 14: mid afternoon:

35 miles from Wyoming border. NEBRASKA was pleasant till North Platt. Then it got HOT. HOT. HOT. Had to slow down a bit to keep it at 215* But all in all, its a good time and an experience I wont forget

7/20/14 approx. 4: pm

Crossed into Wyoming a little while ago. Headed for the Utah border but its getting late. I misread the signs on the last post and we were 60 miles from Wyoming then, not 35. We need to get there on time to help " Mikey" get offda plane! And offer up a brewski! Anyway, the temp has dropped a bit . Think its in the low 90's so were upping the speed again. 2 more days of this.

Way to go JD - sorry to miss riding wing with you guys this year - next year looks more doable.

It will give me just enough excuse time to fix that rust hole in my fender and that horrid paint job the night before leaving for South Bend last year! Travel safe - sounds like fun!

Here some shots of Eds 67 from last years trip doing what it does best....will be following your progress.

post-31011-143142629234_thumb.jpg

post-31011-143142629207_thumb.jpg

7/20/14 11:30 PM ( Approx)

Arrived Evanston WY. 14 hr day, 905 miles. Whew! I am F-ing tired. 681 miles to our next stop. Then Tuesday should be another 9 hr drive to arrive. I must say you are completely correct Ben. Uphill all the way in Nebraska. But the torture in Nebraska was well worth it when we got to Wyoming! That rt 80 is a drop dead gorgeous ride!!! I have a few pictures to sort through ( 631 so far) many of which are to be deleted. But I hope to go back and add some photos to these posts after I get a few moments.

Hope everyones trip is safe and enjoyable. Looking forward to see you all in a few long days.

Signing off for now