Last year for the Spitfire

Same engine was also used for marine, industrial, up to 1972 and Dodge trucks up to 1962 (military 1968). Any DeSoto or Chrysler block can be fitted with the 4 3/4 stroke crankshaft and rods, the block, pistons etc are the same.

I have all this stuff but as I live 3000 miles away, not much good to you.

I just got this one a couple months ago and not for sale - a real good running one out of a 1954 chrysler.... the spitfire head engines-251 and 264.5 ended in 1954.

The 265 engines have tons of pulling power-much better than the 251.

I have a 1952 1 ton dodge pu with a sodium valve 265 I put in it in 1973. I still drive it- great engine.

Bob

post-62228-143142600512_thumb.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Dave, I have a 6 cyl in a 46 Chrysler coupe that has "Spitfire" on the head (don't know if it is original). I will not be using this engine, tell me what to look for to identify if it something you can use. Do you still have my card?

Right now all I have is an industrial engine with the same block but shorter stroke crankshaft. Plus another industrial engine, 265 cu in, with a cracked block.

Was going to use the good block with the long stroke crankshaft to put together a 265.

The industrial engine has the good, full flow "tower" oil filter same as 52 - 54 Chrysler.

In other words I have 2 ENGINES, with enough parts between them to make one GOOD engine. Hope this is clear.

The cracked engine was supposedly rebuilt then they left it full of water in the winter. I saved the camshaft, valves, springs, and 5 pistons as well as the crankshaft and rods.

Also have a spare Spitfire head, and a few other odds and ends including a rebuilt carburetor (rebuilt in 1963, still in the box, correct carb with 2 switches for Fluid Drive semi auto trans).

If this is of interest to you , I have it but please check cost of shipping. I can't help thinking there are a hundred of these engines right in California.

PS the one engine is mounted on a 2 wheel trailer, if you want to come and get it lol.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Is this for a car, truck, restoration? Serial number or features critical? Jack's 251 is a "Spitfire" engine. Only diff, slightly smaller, 4 1/2" stroke instead of 4 3/4" slightly lower HP and the oil filter is different. I think they had a full flow filter but with separate lines instead of the "tower" casting.

Dave, I have a 6 cyl in a 46 Chrysler coupe that has "Spitfire" on the head (don't know if it is original). I will not be using this engine, tell me what to look for to identify if it something you can use. Do you still have my card?

Thanks for the offer and yes on the card. I have the same.

Is this for a car, truck, restoration? Serial number or features critical? Jack's 251 is a "Spitfire" engine. Only diff, slightly smaller, 4 1/2" stroke instead of 4 3/4" slightly lower HP and the oil filter is different. I think they had a full flow filter but with separate lines instead of the "tower" casting.

For a 53 Chrysler. He insist on a 4 3/4 stroke with Spit head. Lives in Iowa. Think he is hopping it up a little. Buying headers and 2 carb intake from us.

I'll pass the info on to him.

Thanks

Dave

For a 53 Chrysler. He insist on a 4 3/4 stroke with Spit head. Lives in Iowa. Think he is hopping it up a little. Buying headers and 2 carb intake from us.

I'll pass the info on to him.

Thanks

Dave

That is what I bought the engines for (except mine was a 52 DeSoto coupe). Except I sold the car and now have the spare engine and parts.

Iowa is only about half as far as California but still far enough.

We are putting a 265 int our 51 traveler. The 251 will be for sale but it is stuck. We have an intake/exhaust and carb off the 265 we are not using if anyone is interested.

I recommend finding an old yard and going out to look. We stopped and asked one if they had anything with flathead mopar...they said no. We decided to walk and look and found a few old trucks that had the 25 inch head motor.

We are putting a 265 int our 51 traveler. The 251 will be for sale but it is stuck. We have an intake/exhaust and carb off the 265 we are not using if anyone is interested.

I recommend finding an old yard and going out to look. We stopped and asked one if they had anything with flathead mopar...they said no. We decided to walk and look and found a few old trucks that had the 25 inch head motor.

We have 60 plus Mopars in our yard from the teens to 60s and over 50 flat 6 and 8 cyl eng. No 265

265s are scarce. I scoured the country a few years ago (I know where all the old junk yard are). I found one in a 1952 Windsor hardtop for $500 about 50 miles from here and another, the one with the cracked block, in another junk yard 35 miles away. The good block I have, was an industrial water pump I bought from a local ski lodge (without the pump) but with a built in trailer. I also bought a non running 49 Chrysler 251 and a spare 251 engine at an auction. That was it for about 5 years of looking.

I also saw an ad for a pair of 265 marine engines for sale at Gravenhurst but they were too far away and too expensive ($1000 apiece).

I could have had at least twice as many Dodge and Plymouth sixes.

Interesting. We just began collecting last august and we have five 251's and a 265....and we could get another 25 inch desoto motor from the guy we got our hemi's from. Two of the motors are in parts cars. We got our running 265 for350bucks....with clutch setup. Hubby had to take the bellhousing off it...he swore a bit...lol. The same yard has two that I know of right now....one in a 50 half ton so its likely a 251...but the other is in a 49 2 ton flatbed...so it maybe a 265 but it is frozenso no way to check stroke (except buy it...which I plan to do cuz I love the whole truck. We find the cars. For under a grand...and so far each has had a parts car.

It seems there are a lot of old mopars in this neck of the woods.

There seem to be a lot of Packards in the Northeast too, especially in the small towns around San Francisco. There must have been a very active Packard distributor in that area in the forties and fifties. I noticed this a few years ago when I was perusing the ads for postwar Packards.

Or, maybe there was a lot of conservative money people in the area who liked Chryslers and Packards.

I think it was the wheat farmers around here. They would get nice cars after good harvests. My hubby's grandpa got a new oldsmobile every two years. We see a lot of old mopars in barns or fields around here. I think it is similar now. The dealerships still fill up with fancy big cars at harvest time.

I saw a chrysler industrial motor on ebay last week for 3 grand. I cant seem to find it now but there is a water pump with one currently on there...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Station-Water-Transfer-Pump-With-Flathead-6-Chrysler-500-GPM-/251295601174?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item3a82629216

We do temd to see packards, too, when we are driving around looking.

Not a flathead.. But i saw this one too. I would love to see a generator ran by a hemi. They sure had cool stuff. I also saw an onan with a four banger chrysler motor. Too cool. I am thinking they should make a flathead powered snow thrower. maybe on tracks with a seat and cab.....and then we could throw our snow to the neighbors, lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251573372969?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rusty do all the 265 ' s have the machined bearing cap bolts? Maybe we could tell if the motor in that big truck at the junkyard is a 265 by that. It is frozen up so no way to check the stroke.

The 265 we got is a runner. The guy said it was from a 50 big truck...With very low miles. Crazy we got it with everything for 350 bucks. If we come across another we will post it here since people are looking.

Yep...that's how it is on our 265 that we know is one. Hubby has a great pic of it. I really want that 49 big truck....and if it has 265 all the better. At least now we know we can check the bolts. Thanks.

The 265 motor we are using for our traveler has no number. I think Rusty or somebody said it could have been a replacement engine. I don't have the numbers off the one in the 49 big truck...but I will be getting it when we go back...which will be soon.

A 265 could be a Chrysler C51, C60-1, C60-2, or C62. Could also be a Canadian made DeSoto S18 or S20, or a Dodge truck T318, T330, T344, T346, T347, T356, T358, T404, T444, T446, T504, T546, L6D6, L6W5,L6S6, M6D6, M6W5, M6S6, TP26, TR26 TS26, L26, L265, M26, M265, S26 or various IND industrial or marine including IND32, IND33 and IND265. The industrial and marine engines often have an ID plate rivetted to the block near the crankcase part line, that gives the displacement or bore and stroke.

*NOTE T318, T330, T344, T356 could be either 251 or 265 engines*

Used in Chrysler 52 - 54 and Canadian built DeSoto cars 53 - 54, Dodge heavy trucks (1 1/2 ton and larger) 1951 to 1962, and in military vehicles, in 251 cu in form, to 1968. Also industrial and marine apps to 1972. So don't overlook the old farm machinery and boat yards, Massey was a big user of Chrysler industrial engines in tractors, combines etc.

I believe some industrial engines were furnished with no serial number stamped. This was so the manufacturer could stamp their own number. A few years ago on this board, we had some inquiries about a Chrysler industrial engine in a Bombardier snowmobile. It was hard to identify because it had a non standard Bombardier serial number.

Replacement engines were also furnished with no number, the dealer was supposed to stamp the serial number of the vehicle on the engine.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

There is a customer in up state NY that has a snow blower that is driven with a 218. He was going to send pictures of it.

Pictured below is a Hemi powered air raid siren located in the Chrysler Museum in MI. This would be cool to mount in back of a pick up.

post-78906-143142621194_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142621171_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142621184_thumb.jpg