My Stereo Saga

Guest TCBucky89

Guest TCBucky89

As stated in another thread, I replaced my Infinity stereo with a used unit. It is the same as the one I took out, but the old unit wasn't the original. This one plays on AM and FM, but the tape unit won't play. Took the TC out for a top down drive tonight, and the stereo sounded good, except for a couple of possibly over worked speakers. Then..........it sounded as if I was listening to a bad garage band that has more feedback than music!!!! Loud screeching that only stopped when I changed channels! After a bit, it would do it again. Is there something else in the system that could be doing this, or did I get a bad stereo to replace my bad stereo?

Guest kanyon

Sounds like a bad unit. Mine did something similar, it sounded high pitched, almost like the Emergency Alert System test signal. I made the mistake and had a car stereo place install an aftermarket unit, they managed to break the clips that hold the trim piece with the Chryslerati logo in place.

As stated in another thread, I replaced my Infinity stereo with a used unit. It is the same as the one I took out, but the old unit wasn't the original. This one plays on AM and FM, but the tape unit won't play. Took the TC out for a top down drive tonight, and the stereo sounded good, except for a couple of possibly over worked speakers. Then..........it sounded as if I was listening to a bad garage band that has more feedback than music!!!! Loud screeching that only stopped when I changed channels! After a bit, it would do it again. Is there something else in the system that could be doing this, or did I get a bad stereo to replace my bad stereo?

The bad garage band sounds like an onboard amp problem. http://www.allpar.com/stereo/speaker-repair.html Had basically the same experience and spent months checking the bone yards for fresh old mini vans to supply my onboard amp needs. The how to in this article does work to get the job done, I decided it was easier to find amps than fix them.

The tape can be a bit of a pain to make it work like new, http://www.allpar.com/stereo/Infinity-II/index.html a little contact cleaner on the tape switch goes a long way, fooling with the eject mechanism can be a real pain. The plug diagram in this article will let you feed MP3 into the radio and if you want to go a little farther you can add a remote controll CD deck to the factory radio.