[TD]90</SPAN>

[/TD]

[TD]93001000</SPAN>

[/TD]

[TD]93166224

[/TD]

[/TR]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

The number you listed is right in the range for a 1936 Special. Above is a list of engine numbers for 1936. I copied it from another post here. Do a search for '1936 buick number' and you will find the origional post.

What may be throwing you off is the first number. Buick stamped the series number as the first number of the engine number when the engine was installed at the factory, but the listing in most cases omits that number. The list above has the series number included.

You do not need to resolve anything :D

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C
spelling (see edit history)

Cody,

Engine Serial number ranges for 1936

[TABLE=class: cms_table_grid]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Series[/TD]

[TD]Start[/TD]

[TD]End[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]40[/TD]

[TD]42995239[/TD]

[TD]43166224[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]60[/TD]

[TD]63001000[/TD]

[TD]63166224[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]80[/TD]

[TD]83001000[/TD]

[TD]83166224[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]90[/TD]

[TD]93001000[/TD]

[TD]93166224[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

The number you listed is right in the range for a 1936 Special. Above is a list of engine numbers for 1936. I copied it from another post here. Do a search for '1936 buick number' and you will find the origional post.

What may be throwing you off is the first number. Buick stamped the series number as the first number of the engine number when the engine was installed at the factory, but the listing in most cases omits that number. The list above has the series number included.

You do not need to resolve anything :D

Thank you for the information. I am having trouble with my starter which is why I began checking numbers. My starter is 1107929 shows for 42-48 Buick series 60,90 and the solenoid is 118019. Finally, the generator is 1102711 shows for 49-50 Pontiac. The manual calls for starter 734z with vacuum switch on manifold. My switch is on the base of my carter carb. The regulator is located on the firewall. All this has me completely confused. The starter is not engaging the bendix only the contacts open and close.

Thanks again, Cody

Cody,

I assume that when you say "only the contacts open and close", you are refering to the relay on the end of the starter. If this is the case there are a few things to check. The solenoid is switched by the relay on the end of the starter and the solenoid pulls the bendix in and switches the starter motor on. I would check for power to the solenoid through the relay contacts. If there is power through the contacts then the solenoid is bad or there is a bad ground to the solenoid. These are the things to check first. If you need more help just ask.

Robin

PS: Where are you located? There are many members with lots of knowledge all over and one may offer to help if they are close enough :).

my 1936 Buick 40 special has engine number43076767 on right front block. This number is inconsistent with the listed engine numbers; any suggestions on how to resolve?

I'm curious about what list your engine number is inconsistent with. Just be sure that the number on your block matches the engine number on your registration.

Les

Hi Robin, I live on Long Island in NY, and I was referring to the relay you mentioned. I use a remote start switch and watch the points open and close. You are correct, the bendix is not moving; the starter does not engage. If you would explain how I can eliminate each component (good or bad) I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I have a good solenoid #118012 could this be used if need be? My rebuilder shut down a few months ago and I will have to locate another.

Thanks again.

Cody,

First question is... Do you have a factory shop manual? If not then you really need to get one.

Next, I assume that you have the battery charged and properly connected, IE: negative ground, positive to starter solonoid.

Now with either a volt meter or 6 volt test light check for battery power on the relay contacts, while NOT trying to start there should be power on one contact and not the other. Now if that checks monitor the contact that did not have power and hit your remote switch. The relay should close and you should get power on the contact. Just a note, it is a good idea to reference ground on the solenoid mounting bolt as the coils are grounded to the case of the solenoid. If this is all good then the solenoid is bad. There are several variations to these tests but all are basicly the same. I am also assuming that the starter circuits are basicly the same as a stock 1936 car. My 37 is very simular but there is no carb switch, just a vacuum switch with a linkage to the throttle for starting, it basicly works the same but has a vacuum lockout to help prevent starter activation while the engine is running. Now the wiring diagram in the shop manual clearly shows the wiring and is fairly easy to understand if you have even a little electrical knowledge. I hope this helps. feel free to ask more if needed. Another source for help/repair is Jason Smith with Advanced Electrical Rebuilders in Grand Ledge, MI - 866-228-0218 - jason@aerrebuild.com, he posts here fairly often and gets great reviews from the members.

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C
add info (see edit history)

Hi Robin,

I do have a shop manual and the car is correctly configured for power. I have a test light that I could use as you suggest. Today I am going to try what you have suggested to determine what to do next. If the solenoid turns out to be bad I am not sure where I can get a replacement. They do not seem to show up on ebay; any suggestions would also be helpful.

Again, thank you for your time and help.

Cody

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin,

Good news, my car is running. With your advice I determined the solenoid is bad and I was able to get going again with the help of Dave in Minnesota. Thanks for your time and support; I learned a bunch about electrical as a result.

Cody.