NEW 64 Buick Riv project underway. On the hunt for a 65 Rear Bumper for sale?

Guest RivinitUP

Guest RivinitUP

Hey Guys,

I just recently picked up a solid 64 Riv here in Canada for $5k (CDN) It was originally from San Diego, so it's rust free. The matching numbers motor has been rebuilt, all suspension, mechanicals have all been rebuilt stock. Just needs paint, interior and exhaust.

My friends at "Torch and Hammer" are going to be finishing up the body and paint for me, hopefully starting it this August.

I managed to score some NOS turnsignal lenses last week, still in the box for $75.00 for the pair, a smoking deal with what I've been able to tell online. He had a few extra parts that I threw him a few extra bucks for seeing how he didn't have his 63 anymore.

2 of the Oem Hubcaps, the hood centre trim and the center grill for a 63-64, if anyone needs any of these let me know, the car I bought came with 5 hubcaps with the centrecaps, but we might be going with a different rim and tire.

I'm learning quickly that parts aren't the easiest to find and most of what I need is in the USA.

I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had a 65 Riv Rear bumper with mounting brackets for sale. , preferably not bent,dented or tweaked. If I have to get it rechromed thats fine, but rather not blow my budget on the chrome.

I know the rear bumper is much different on the 65 than the 64, but My body guys doing some pretty amazing stuff and are up to the challenge.

If I'm successfull with the Rear bumper, I will have a mint 64 rear Bumper for sale.

we are also going with a custom billet grill so, I will have a full 64 Grill with turnsignals available aswell.

A few parts I'm looking:

Rear Seat frames: upper and lower. I don't care about the condition of the upholstery or the foam as I will be redoing them. But the frames have to be in great shape.

1 Turn signal Bezel. 63 or 64

2 Lower marker light bezels for a 65.

I'm still sorting through all the boxes of parts that came with the car and will gladly post what I have available for sale for anyone in need of parts for theirs.

If anyone can point me in the right direction in regards to the parts I'm looking for, You can reach me by email at Darrell@Darrellbrown.ca or on my cell 647-281-6575. I just joined the Riv Club, it was highly recommended for anyone just getting into Rivs. The guys on there know their stuff. It's great to have a knowledgeable point of reference.

Thanks Guys. I will post some more pics as we get this baby underway.post-101477-143142598826_thumb.jpg

post-101477-143142598781_thumb.jpg

post-101477-143142598853_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on your find and welcome to the ROA forum. I'm not trying to be the nay-sayer here, but the sheet metal on the '65 on the sides of the rear quarters is different than that of the '63/'64. Having said that, the rear bumpers "as is" are not interchangeable. You'll also have two sets of tail lights if you use the '65 rear bumper without doing some body mods to the '64's rear deck. The rear harness is also different so you'd need to replace it with a '65 harness.

It can be done and it would look good, all I'm saying is that it's not an R&R process.

The bezels are not interchangeable either. The '63/'64 has completely different fenders - hence inner fenders, lower valance, turn signal bezels, et al than a '65. If you want the front turn signals under the bumper, you'd be better off putting a complete '65 front clip on your '64.

Take some time this weekend and search the archives for related threads. Everything you want to know has been answered previously with lots of comments and pictures.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest clamshells

As a 2X 65 owner I favor the 3-4 tail over the 65 but have a clamshell fetish. A unmolested 65 rear bumper is proving rare, but for a price anything is possible in time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271540577293?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/4505596444.html

These bumpers hold a risk to damage during shipping, otherwise I'd pay the ridiculous price for a core to triple plate.

Welcome.

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RivinitUP

Thanks for the advice guys, I've found this forum and it's contributers very informative and helpful. I missed out on a 65 bumper that was already chromed this week, but after reading through some of the historic discussions and past war stories, its sounding a little harder than anticipated, it's hard to make decisions without having it in our hands.

The fenders on my 64 are mint so I don't really want to change or modify them. I found a 65 bumper core for $150.00, my friend at Torch and Hammer is very good with metal work, so we are going to pick up a 65 core, I already have a 64 bumper, so we're going to strip them both and see if we can't modify the bumper to fit instead of messing with the fenders and rear clip. It may sound a little obscene but Chad likes a challenge and is confident he can make it work.

On another note, Santa came early this year, I just received my shiney new billet grill in the mail today...I ordered it from BilletArt on Ebay, a pretty nice looking piece, I will report back once we try and fit it. I'm going to move the headlights, so I have a few grills and a complete set of 64 headlights, that I won't be using.

Rivin it up here in Canada, can get pretty expensive dealing with shipping, the current exchange rate and the suprise duties/brokerage fees at the border. But I just lucked into a local guy about 45 minutes from my house that has a 64 Riv almost all disassembled. I was only looking for a few specific parts, but he wants to sell it as a package deal, I'm going to take a look in the next few days, He has Rolling chassis with ownership and the rest is in boxes, which I will have to go through. If anyone's looking for parts just let me know, I should be bringing the chassis home in a few weeks and the boxes of parts home this weekend, which means I should have lots of spares and will gladly sell off what I don't need for a great price in CDN dollars to help someone along with their restoration. You can email me at Darrell@DarrellBrown.ca if your'e looking for anything specific. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slacker1965
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262898[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]262897[/ATTACH]Hi RivinitUp here are a couple pics of my 63 with a 65 rear bumper. I trimmed out the old taillight panel and fabbed a new one out of 16 gauge sheet and also fabbed a shelf for the 65 taillights to clear.The 65 bumper brackets line up just fine.

Nicely done! I really like what you have done.....

Guest RivinitUP
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262898[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]262897[/ATTACH]Hi RivinitUp here are a couple pics of my 63 with a 65 rear bumper. I trimmed out the old taillight panel and fabbed a new one out of 16 gauge sheet and also fabbed a shelf for the 65 taillights to clear.The 65 bumper brackets line up just fine.

Thanks Man, I'm still trying to get my hands on a 65 bumper, we were looking at it the other day, filling in the tailights is a given and so we were figuring on metalwork for the back fender below the trunk as it seems the 63 64 bumper is a lot shorter than the beefy 65 bumper. but did the 65 bumper wrap around the rear fenders ok? or did you ahve to modify the rear fenders or rear bumper to make it fit properly? I was under the impression that the section of the bumper that wraps around the fender we wider on the 65? and I'm assuming you had to remove the lip that was behind the 64 bumper? I only have 64 brackets so I was planning on just making the new ones. Thanks for the pics and post man, I appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks again.

Thanks Man, I'm still trying to get my hands on a 65 bumper, we were looking at it the other day, filling in the tailights is a given and so we were figuring on metalwork for the back fender below the trunk as it seems the 63 64 bumper is a lot shorter than the beefy 65 bumper. but did the 65 bumper wrap around the rear fenders ok? or did you ahve to modify the rear fenders or rear bumper to make it fit properly? I was under the impression that the section of the bumper that wraps around the fender we wider on the 65? and I'm assuming you had to remove the lip that was behind the 64 bumper? I only have 64 brackets so I was planning on just making the new ones. Thanks for the pics and post man, I appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks again.

Hi RivinitUp, I did not modify the 65 bumper in any way, I did fab my own lower quarter pieces that line up with the ends of the bumper which turned in a little tighter at the bottom of the quarter panel.