Picked up a 73 VW Thing

Joe Cocuzza

This is the 1st Thing I have ever owned but I was always "looking" for one.

I found it on Craigslist and it was only 80 miles from home. I towed it home a few weeks ago as it wasn't running at the time. Owner said it wouldn't start this past spring. They pulled the fuel pump and the distributor out and that is how I got it.

I have been messing around with it (put new fuel pump on and reinstalled distributor) and today I ran a fuel line to a remote gas can and it fired up and ran okay. Still needs a little fine tuning but it ran. I am going to look into the gas tank and see if it is mucked up before I connect the feed line from it. That's why I ran off a gas can - didn't want to mess up the new fuel pump with any crud.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on this Joe. They are pretty cool. Not an owner but I do like various vintage VWs. Anyway, seeing little feedback here (we know this is not the best forum for foreign postwar stuff, right?) I thought I would pass this along in case you have not already discovered it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/

This link is to ads but the Samba forum is like this one - several sub forums, but vintage VW focused, thought you might find it helpful.