Replacement Top-'41 Continental Cabriolet

Michael L.

Happy 4th of July to all of my American friends.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding replacement convertible tops for Continentals? I see a couple of websites extolling the virtues of their respective products, but I would like to hear from someone who actually has purchased one. I am aiming to go with a top that is authentic with the tiny glass back window. By the way, when you have that feature, do you have to fold down the window before you drop the top? I would appreciate any input any of you have.

Thanks,

Mike L.

Guest 39 Pickup

I sold my 1948 Cabriolet 6 years ago, but I do remember that the window did not have to be zipped out and down to put the top down. However, to be on the safe side I usually unzipped the window. The super thin glass is expensive and probably not easy to get. My top was made by my upolstery man using the dimensions and diagrams from the authenticity manual. He did a good job and I never got a gig at Hershey or LZOC or LCOC national shows on the top.

I sold my 1948 Cabriolet 6 years ago, but I do remember that the window did not have to be zipped out and down to put the top down. However, to be on the safe side I usually unzipped the window. The super thin glass is expensive and probably not easy to get. My top was made by my upolstery man using the dimensions and diagrams from the authenticity manual. He did a good job and I never got a gig at Hershey or LZOC or LCOC national shows on the top.

All early Continental Cabriolets ( known as Mark 1) were made with a 3 piece top! That is center section, and 2 side panels --NO TACK RAIL ACROSS

FRONT, NO TACK RAIL ACROSS BACK!) Look at pictures on the website. Don't let your top man talk you into tack rails!

Yes Bill, that was my car, maroon '38 conv . coupe. Great show, great weather; greater cars! BTW, did you get the horn working on your truck. I worked on Scott Griffin's '36

LZ, same system , but longer shaft. Also worked on a '37 Ford just before show, same thing. Don't lose the little split brass sleve thats on shaft just under horn button, This

is critical , transfer ground from steering shaft.... I think! Larry

Guest 39 Pickup

Larry, I don't have that brass piece under the horn button that you speak of. The current to ground on mine runs through the spring that holds the button up to a brass ring that grounds to the die cast base. My new problem is that the horn blows all the time now. Tomorrow is another day.