Saturday night banquet... Do you go?

AnniesSS

This is my first time showing at Hershey and I think we are going to try entering the HPOF class. How many people go to the Saturday night Banquet? If my truck is certified in HPOF, do I pick that up at the banquet? Is it possible to go after the dinner to pick it up?

Thanks!

My suggestion--if this is your first time, heck, take in the whole experience. Worst that could happen, is that you didn't like it (which I would doubt would be the case, but at least then, you'd KNOW, instead of WONDER), and make a more informed decision as to what's right for you in the future...

As for me, here are my feelings about it. It is a fitting capper to a great week, and particularly the great day enjoyed by one and all at the Show on Saturday. I always go with my friend who has been my roommate for years, and gives us a chance to relax, catch up on the reflections of the show day and the week, and also, as an added benefit, meet some people at the same table who, almost invariably, become at least pleasant acquaintances if not more, through the sharing of their experiences during Fall Hershey as well.

There is a great cameraderie that I find at the Banquet, along with decent enough food (granted, you could spend less and get more on your plate, but it's what you'll be missing by NOT going to the Banquet). There are some pleasant-enough presentations that, in my experience, have never been exceedingly long (unlike several experiences I've had to endure at similar functions by other car organizations), and help to round out the experience by giving some perspective on what the AACA is all about, and the realization of just who and how many people work so very hard throughout the year--at their own volition--to make the entire Hershey experience the enjoyable one it has long been.

And, unlike most other awards presentation, the issuance of awards is swift, not drawn out any longer than it has to be, well-organized, and to the point. For the well-over 1000+ names to be announced, and to always have the function conclude no later than 9:30-10:00 in the evening, is actually remarkable. Other unnamed banquets I've attended for other car organizations over the years have been quite the ordeal, by comparison.

So, a strong "Yes--Go! You'll enjoy it!" from me. If I by chance happen to be wrong, apologies in advance, and if nothing else, at least you'll "know" instead of "wonder"...

You make a VERY valid point! Thank you for taking the time to explain what we could be missing. :) While reading your post to my husband, he nodded in agreement at your opinion :) Thanks so much and we have some thinking to do lol

Annie:

i have shown my car since 1998 in AACA and have attended 14 National shows. I have gone to the Awards Dinner each time.

I really enjoy the the time getting to know the folks at our table. You never know who you will meet. It's very interesting to hear about the cars the other people brought to the meet.

Personally, I have enjoyed each dinner I went to. The people are the best part of this hobby.

Kevin

I kind of like the Bears' Den myself. It's a sports bar and restaurant in the same building, the Hershey Lodge. I ate there Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night and met quite a few car people. It was convenient, since I was bunking at Hershey Lodge. I missed the Banquet Saturday...but did sit in on an hour of the awards ceremony towards the end.

That Steve Moskowitz is tough. Sat beside him at the Awards Banquet in Tennessee 2 years ago and even with the almost unbearable heat and humidity in the un-airconditioned horse arena he wouldn't remove his sport coat.

You never saw him sweat either did you, Jeff? ;)

Steve, one request,

For the 2014 Edition of the Hershey Meet, could you get them to turn off the sprinklers?:eek: Last year someone left them on:confused: Thursday and Friday. Not complaining - only the guys with metal things and paper things in the Swap Meet were affected, but it was more than enough water to keep the dust down for Saturday's Car Show!:)

Jeff in the Peerless Booth in the Orange Field

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...