1955 Roadmaster restoration

Jeff Trahan

I posted this in a more general forum and received no replies so I'm re-posting here.

I'm restoring a 1955 Roadmaster sedan and recently installed the rebuilt engine. With the engine installed, the car is still riding high. The upper support arms are squishing the bumpers on the top part of the front suspension. Is that because the car sat for so long without the engine in it that the coil springs have expanded temporarily? Will it eventually return to the normal height?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff T.

Thanks for the posts. Everything is on the car except the interior and the chrome. I don't think anything on the suspension is "stuck". The funny thing is I'm also restoring a 1947 Cadillac and it is also riding high, even with new shocks in the front. It also doesn't have the chrome or interior installed yet so maybe that is the reason.

Jeff

I posted this in a more general forum and received no replies so I'm re-posting here.

I'm restoring a 1955 Roadmaster sedan and recently installed the rebuilt engine. With the engine installed, the car is still riding high. The upper support arms are squishing the bumpers on the top part of the front suspension. Is that because the car sat for so long without the engine in it that the coil springs have expanded temporarily? Will it eventually return to the normal height?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff T.

Jeff, In my opinion, even without the engine the front suspension "A" frames should not be squishing the rubber bumpers. If the engine is in the car then no, the car will not return to normal height. It sounds like either:

The wrong springs ( too many turns or the wrong thickness)

Or the springs are not set in their pocket correctly.

If the car is sitting on it's tires, can you bounce it at all? If not, something is definitely assembled incorrectly.