53 Special Headlight Doors/Rims

sweetpotato

I am in the process of reassembling my 53 Special after paint. The teardrop headlight doors/rims (the ones with the black hatching on the bottom) are missing something on the top which attaches the top to the fender. I can't remember if they were there when I took them apart or if they were just held on by the two screws near the bottom. When I took this car apart I carefully put all small parts in labeled baggies but cannot find anything like this. If anyone knows what they look like and could post a picture it would be greatly appreciated. If I knew what the original part looked like maybe I can improvise. Thanks, Bob

Here's what you're probably looking for.

The front edge of the lug Part "K" is angled upwards (secures the top of the headlamp door to the upper fender headlight opening) and is attached to the fender with two sheet metal screws, Part "W".

post-41556-143142592904_thumb.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack
better pic (see edit history)

Thanks Al! Once you see a picture it all becomes simple. I have the lugs. Apparently there is a Tinnerman nut that slips over the hole on the fender. These are missing. I was trying to visualize some kind of hook or spring arrangement to go in that hole. Thanks again.