Turn signals in headlight stand question

Guest Strange

Guest Strange

I was wondering if anyone has any information on what years and on what cars in the 1930's ford offered turn signals built into the headlight stands? I have these on a 1938 panel van. The glass appears original, but I imagine it was originally on another ford car. Any ideas? I'm looking for information because I am hoping to maybe one day come across NOS lens replacements, so narrowing down exactly what to look for in terms of year and model would be helpful. The lenses on the car have become very cloudy. Here is a photo below where you can see the small lens in the stanchion.

post-43203-143142590757_thumb.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Your photo is too small for me to see the lenses that you are describing. Ford did not offer turn signals on any of its cars in the 30's. I believe that you might have an aftermarket headlight and stand sold to incorporate sealed beam headlights in pre-1940 cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Strange
Your photo is too small for me to see the lenses that you are describing. Ford did not offer turn signals on any of its cars in the 30's. I believe that you might have an aftermarket headlight and stand sold to incorporate sealed beam headlights in pre-1940 cars.

Apologies for the delay in responding. I'll try to get a better picture tonight. I do not believe that the light in the stanchion was originally a turn signal, I believe it was a running light.

The bracket looks like it is from a 1940 big truck. The lens p/n is 01T-1382. In 1940 all vehicles went to sealed beams and the parking lights had to be separated from the headlight. The pickups used the standard Ford headlamp doors with the parking light incorporated into the door. The big trucks kept the headlamps on the top of the fenders and needed a place for the parking lights. I doubt that many of the lights have survived to this day as the trucks were pretty well used up by 1945.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

Guest Strange
The bracket looks like it is from a 1940 big truck. The lens p/n is 01T-1382. In 1940 all vehicles went to sealed beams and the parking lights had to be separated from the headlight. The pickups used the standard Ford headlamp doors with the parking light incorporated into the door. The big trucks kept the headlamps on the top of the fenders and needed a place for the parking lights. I doubt that many of the lights have survived to this day as the trucks were pretty well used up by 1945.

Thanks! That gives me something to look for. I am finding out that these old trucks are more difficult to find parts for than some of the cars. The search is part of the fun right? Has anyone ever tried to use those turtle wax lense recovery products on these old lenses? I guess it couldn't do any harm.

With that little bit of information I managed to find a few pictures of a 40's pickup with the same stanchion. Made me realize the bezel around the lens was originally chrome. Another part to look for since I won't send a good pair to a chrome shop until I have an extra pair after hearing so many stories of lost parts.

Edited by Strange (see edit history)

The chrome plated bezel was an option. Most of them were painted.

The lens should be glass and a good soaking in hand dish washing detergent should make them sparkle. If the front of the lens is pitted, try to find a glass shop with an owner who appreciates old cars and truck and have the glass polished.