1932 Chrysler steering wheel removal

Guest RexinMontana

Guest RexinMontana

Hi, new to this forum. I've viewed it for years, but now I have a question. Can someone tell me how to remove the light switch so that I can remove the steering wheel on my '32 Chrysler.

I would like to refinish it, but don't want to break anything.

Thanks,

Rex

Guest RexinMontana

Thanks Restorer32. I don't see a way to remove the switch lever/horn button without just trying to pry it off. That may be what I have to do, just not sure.

Thanks,

Rex

Likely you have to remove the switch mechanism from the bottom of the steering column and pull the switch and tube entirely out of the column from the top.
Thanks Restorer32. I don't see a way to remove the switch lever/horn button without just trying to pry it off. That may be what I have to do, just not sure.

Thanks,

Rex

As Restorer32 noted, look at the bottom of the steering column in the engine compartment. . . Should be a release/disconnect for the light switch control rod there.

• 1 month later...
Guest RexinMontana

Thanks for the help. I got side tracked for a few weeks. After looking at it closely. There is a ferrule type not at the bottom of the switch that pinches the switch shaft to the shaft coming down the steering column. Once I removed that nut and clipped the end off the horn wire I was able to remove the switch from the top. Lucky that I have a rumble seat coupe. I was able to roll down the rear window to get it all of the way out! post-101597-14314269205_thumb.jpg