PACKARD SOLD TO WALES

bruffsup

That's a good question. I have no idea. The seller tells me the first owner was E Paul Dupont of Wilmington Delaware and was his 'go to school" car but that struck me as being a fanciful

creation although she showed me an old cheque book that was supposedly his they got with the car when they bought it from the second owner Marvin W. Klair of Wilmington. I would think someone with Dupont's dough would have had a more illustrious model or make.

You have an interesting and well known model 126 Packard that is listed on www.packardsonline.com. It appears that the car was once owned by Lex DuPont plus some other important people such as past AACA president T. Clarence Marshall, the noted Stanley collector. Marvin Klair bought it from Marshall before selling it to Joyce Coons in Kemptville, Ontario. Marvin was a wonderful person who was an early member (founding member?) of the Brandywine Region, AACA and organized numerous tours in which I was fortunate enough to participate. The 126 was an important part of these tours.

Congratulations Barry on the acquisition of a great car with a wonderful history. I know you will enjoy it very much.

Any other similar cars out there?

I have a 1922 126 Packard, there are a few others here in Australia and elsewhere. I have had mine since 1976 and have covered maybe 15-20,000 miles to date. David

• 1 month later...

post-59973-143142695947_thumb.jpg

Barry, Our 1922 Single Six Packard is the 126 Sport model. I bought it in 1976 in very derelict condition and spent the next 9 years bringing it back to the condition in the photos. It was delivered new to Australia as a RH drive car from the Packard factory and was fitted with the 24" Rudge Whitworth wire wheels. I restored it as original with no modifications or upgrades. We have since driven it on many long distance rallies organised by the Packard Club of Australia. It has been to every state in Australia except Western Austrlalia and Northern Territory and has never failed to get home . One of the photos shows it in a very remote area near Broken Hill. We have always been the oldest car on the tour until recently when a 1919 has come out of restoration. It has a slightly taller rear axle ratio to the other 126/133 cars and will run all day at about 48 mph. It is a great old car that has given us many friends and experiences and still runs well. David

post-59973-143142695905_thumb.jpg

post-59973-143142695927_thumb.jpg

post-59973-143142695928_thumb.jpg

Just what I wanted to know and see ! What a great accomplishment and what a great rare car. I love the Rudge wheels ( I have a Rudge motorcycle) . I have not done too much to mine yet. I just removed the carb and gas tank for cleaning . I dropped the oil pan and had a look and it appears to be excellent inside. It has sticking valves so I am going to remove the head and clean things out in there as well. Then with a new set of tires ($$$$) I will be on the road. I'll post a few pictures if I get it done before the snow flies. Cheers, Barry

What a great looking pair of automobiles. Both winners in my book. The more I get into my Packard the more evident the quality becomes. The overwhelming impression I am getting is the thought that seems to have gone into the way it is all pieced together.