Power Door Lock not working-90 Maz

Guest VegasTC

Guest VegasTC

When you hit the automatic door lock button, a loud knocking sound happens and the door does not lock. It will lock manually. It was only the passenger door, but now both doors make the same noise. It's a 1990 TC, our repair shop says they cannot find an actuator for it anywhere. Wouldn't this be a standard Chrysler part?

TIA!

Frustrated in Vegas!

When you hit the automatic door lock button, a loud knocking sound happens and the door does not lock. It will lock manually. It was only the passenger door, but now both doors make the same noise. It's a 1990 TC, our repair shop says they cannot find an actuator for it anywhere. Wouldn't this be a standard Chrysler part?

TIA!

Frustrated in Vegas!

Standard part yes, actuator Eh----, with noise now in both doors more likely the clip that connects to the lock, also a standard part.

Guest VegasTC
Standard part yes, actuator Eh----, with noise now in both doors more likely the clip that connects to the lock, also a standard part.

Thanks, Digger. I was a little concerned they said the actuator was broken. If it was broken, wouldn't both door locks not work immediately upon the actuator breaking?

The passenger door lock started making the loud banging noise when you tried to lock it but the driver side door lock worked for a long time.

Is replacing the clip difficult? I swore I would never take another door panel off after screwing up the insides of my Fiat door and later on not being able to get an '88 Jaguar panel back on.

But, I hate being ripped off by repair shops so I would be willing to give it a try.

Thank you for all of your help!

The relay is common to both, but each door has it's own actuator. Would have to see the size of your hands to tell you if replacing the clip is going to be difficult. I have some pretty big mits and needed to use my pinky finger fingers.

If you have a manual it tells you how to remove the door pannel, it doesn't tell you how brittle plastic gets with age and heat so be very carefull when removing the switch trim, use your thumb to push the upper curved section as far in and up as you can before you try to lift at the back tab. The rest of the pannel is locating the fastening screws and lifting up before trying to pull it off. The clip itself is such a standard part for cars that they are sold in bubble packs and can be found in the HELP rack at most auto parts stores, for what they cost get new, if they popped off once without breaking they will pop off again.