Subdued Pentagram

So I got tired of I tired of being complemented on my clean old Lebaron and took a little paint to the grill. When the paint was dry I treated myself with a trip to the old A&W Drive-in, the place where old cars go on a Sunday afternoon, I pulled up alongside a 61 Ford Falcon and was nose to nose with a 90 Cad Allante. We nodded to each other, he finished eating and left before I did, but on his way out of the Drive-in he drove back in again, made a complete circle and slowed down to read the name on the back of my car. I don’t know if he knew what he had been looking at, but I’m pretty sure he knew it wasn't a Lebaron.

post-92395-143142588143_thumb.jpg

post-92395-14314258813_thumb.jpg

post-92395-143142588156_thumb.jpg

I don't know what year or model of Caddy is similar to the TC but there was one parked next to mine years ago. I was going to insert the key when I realized it was too wide and too high. The color was a close match to Royal Cabernet. One of my TCs was repainted by the po with that color.

Guest TCBucky89

I haven't had anybody call my TC a LeBaron, yet, but my '68 Imperial Crown convertible gets called everything but an Imperial at cruise-ins and parades; Cadillac, Lincoln, and I even heard, "What year Impala is that?" So far, on the TC, I get this question, "What the heck is it?"

I don't know what year or model of Caddy is similar to the TC but there was one parked next to mine years ago. I was going to insert the key when I realized it was too wide and too high. The color was a close match to Royal Cabernet. One of my TCs was repainted by the po with that color.

It was probably a Cad Allante, body styling was done by the same people and they were both built around the same time. The body for the Allante was made in Itally and flown to the states for final assembly. They are a bit taller and wider, the extra size didn't add anything to passanger seating comfort, but they are a little easier to get into with the top on.

It was probably a Cad Allante, body styling was done by the same people.

Mr. Digger are you saying that "Pininfarina" did the TC body design? I have never heard that, I thought that it was only a Maserati/Chrysler thing. If Pinifarina was in the picture how come their name is not on the car? They always seem to show their name on things reguardless of brand.

It was probably a Cad Allante, body styling was done by the same people.

Mr. Digger are you saying that "Pininfarina" did the TC body design? I have never heard that, I thought that it was only a Maserati/Chrysler thing. If Pinifarina was in the picture how come their name is not on the car? They always seem to show their name on things reguardless of brand.

I did read in one or more of the poke fun at the TC and compare to the LeBaron for it's shared styling articles that they were both drawn on the Pinifarina board. I couldn't remember which one I saw this in so I Googled [ Pinifarina Chrysler Lebaron and got a page full of TC connections ] and I haven't got the slightest idea why their name isn't somewhere on the car.

Guest TCBucky89

I can get in and out of the TC a lot easier than the Jag XJ-S. I sorta have to roll out of it!!

I can get in and out of the TC a lot easier than the Jag XJ-S. I sorta have to roll out of it!!

I never had any trouble getting in and out of my MGB, or the old XKE, with or without tops, just had to tuck a little tighter.

On the Allante the actual opening to the passenger compartment could be the same size, can't say as I've never measured either, the Allante does stand a little higher than the TC and it is easier to get in and out of than the TC when the position of the top determines the tuck. At 6' 3" I tend to notice the things that will hit the head.

Don't know how we got from subdued to get in and out but it works for me.

I too am 6.3 and over 60 in age. Getting in and out has started becoming an issue. I think I lost immortality at 50. Not only has getting in and out become a thang but the comfort of the seats and the ride. To me there are no seats more comfortable than the TC. I feel like I am sitting in my Lazyboy and the ride is very good. I can not believe I am saying this but I like my TC better than my Audi TT that I had. The only other vehicle I have been thinking of that would be as fun as the TC is a Chevy SSR. Don't have to take the hard top off. Good ride and looks. Plenty of trunk space for my wifes stuff. Dont have to bend over to get in. But the MPG sucks. Any feed back on it would be helpful as I am still thinking about. I will not sell my TC though want to keep it.

Guest TCBucky89

So, I was asked, "What is it?", again last night! A Young dude in his 20's, driving a brand new, bright orange Dodge Challenger looked at my TC. I showed him the hot little 2.2 TurboII mill, the hand-built Italian bodywork, and all leather interior, and told him that the top comes off and there's another one under it. He thought it was the coolest old car he had ever seen! (He didn't even know they existed!)

So, I was asked, "What is it?", again last night! A Young dude in his 20's, driving a brand new, bright orange Dodge Challenger looked at my TC. I showed him the hot little 2.2 TurboII mill, the hand-built Italian bodywork, and all leather interior, and told him that the top comes off and there's another one under it. He thought it was the coolest old car he had ever seen! (He didn't even know they existed!)

It's amazing the difference a little black paint can make and how it can turn a LeBaron? into a Maserati. While you're spiffing yours up don't forget to freshion up the black on the back trim. Make it easier for the curious to read.

post-92395-143142591925_thumb.jpg

Digger, What can you recommand for a method to repaint the lettering in the tail reflector? Thanks Bob

I used Rustolian Black Gloss the good thick stuff not the spray and an artist brush. Don't try to be to artistic, open the trunk, get some paint on the brush, touch the tip inside the recessed letter near where you want it to go and let the paint flow into the letter area. If you overflow the letter dab up what you can with a cotton swab and when it's good and dry give the whole trim piece a gentle rubbing with 000 steelwool to clean, polish, sharpen the letter definition and generally dull the gloss to match the paint you still have on the trim strip.

Digger, I want to thank you very much. The method to bring back the lettering in the tail reflector works like a champ. I did not paint all letters so the difference (before and after) could be seen. Thanks again. Bob

post-89473-143142600838_thumb.jpg

Guest TCBucky89

I was fortunate enough to acquire a TC that has perfect black lettering on the deck lid. What can I do to help keep it that way?

I was fortunate enough to acquire a TC that has perfect black lettering on the deck lid. What can I do to help keep it that way?

Hand wash with mild detergent not automated car wash. Don't take the car out in the direct sun, or the rain, or go anywhere that something might dent or rub the trim. You can't protect this stuff and enjoy driving the car, but you can restore the lettering when the color goes away.