FOR SALE: 1957 Ford Thunderbird

Matt Harwood

*SOLD*

Is there anyone who doesn't like the first 2-seater Thunderbirds? They're almost the universal car. They're common enough that parts and knowledge are plentiful and they really are pleasant little cars to drive. This Colonial White 1957 is made for just that: driving. It isn't a show car and probably never was, but it's been nicely maintained and offers a combination of robust mechanicals and a great color combination to make a fun summer toy. I bet the body's never been off the frame, but it's a solid car and I spent some time yesterday driving it and it works rather well. It was repainted a few years ago and most of the trim was restored, so cosmetically it's quite good. The paint job wasn't a $10,000 project, so there's a little overspray on a few of the rubber seals, but it shines up nicely and looks good going down the street and at casual shows. The chrome appears to have been recently refinished, perhaps at the same time as the paint, and it's really very nice, including the bumpers, grille, door handles, and other exterior details.

The red interior offers new soft parts, including a fresh seat cover and door panels. It's possible that the dash pad is original, but it's really so nice that I would guess that it's been replaced at some point. The gauges are original and a bit faded and the fuel gauge and clock are not working, but there are aftermarket auxiliary gauges in a panel under the dash that monitor oil pressure, temperature, and voltage. Both power windows work properly, there's a modern AM/FM/cassette stereo system in the original radio's slot, and the steering wheel is in good shape. The restored porthole hardtop fits well with recent weather seals, but there is no folding convertible top, which is this car's biggest demerit. The trunk is outfitted with correct mats, a bias-ply spare, and a full jack assembly, and there are no signs of rust or major panel repairs underneath.

The 312 cubic inch Y-block V8 runs well and it fires right up, even after sitting for a while. It makes a good V8 burble from the dual exhaust system, which still exhales through the ends of the rear bumper. I may fiddle with the carburetor, since I think it's running a little too rich, but on the road it feels suitably muscular and energetic. According to the aftermarket mechanical temperature gauge, it runs at about 180 degrees and didn't get cranky even though I left it idling for about 15 minutes while I chatted with a fellow at the gas station. But just in case, someone has cleverly installed an electric fan inside the original shroud that works in conjunction with the engine-driven fan and is almost invisible in the engine bay. The 3-speed Ford-O-Matic automatic clicks through the gears without any issues and the ride is pretty good with minimal squeaks and rattles from inside. No power steering, but I hardly noticed except at parking velocities, and even then it's not a big deal--it's certainly lighter than my wife's 1966 Mustang's unassisted steering. The brakes work well with no untoward sounds and it's been fitted with Coker wide whitewall radials, so it rides and handles quite nicely yet retains an authentic look.

We're asking $34,900, which is a pretty average price for driver-grade Thunderbirds. Not perfect, but if you've always wanted one, this one has good colors and no major issues.

PS: If you want cheaper, I have a black one that's a little rough around the edges and if it's near-perfection you seek, I also have an extremely nice one for quite a bit more money (both are black with black and white interiors).

Thanks for reading!

post-31138-143142587601_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587605_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587609_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587613_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587618_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587622_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587627_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587631_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587636_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314258764_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587645_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587649_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587654_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142587659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
SOLD! (see edit history)

Hi Matt,

This is a very nice looking car. In fact, I like it so much I have one just like it parked in my garage. For the benefit of those who might be interested in it, do you know where it has spent most of its life and how things look underneath the car? From what I can see everything looks good and the only demerit is that it has the white door panels, which should not be the case with the Flame Red interior. One interesting thing to note is that it has power windows and the engine dress-up kit, which is unusual for an otherwise lightly optioned car. The engine compartment is nicely detailed and looks like it is ready for the local Fourth of July Parade. It definitely looks like a good deal.

Regards,

Lew

• 1 month later...