caulking and jack for Haulmark

We bought a used Haulmark and I want to re-caulk some areas; most notably the area where the front aluminum trim piece separates the vertical front surface from the top cap and then where the front diamond plate and the surface above it meet. And then I want to buy a jack in case I ever get a flat. On the jack I was thinking about one of the three ton quick pump aluminum jobs.

Can anyone offer advice on either of these subjects?

post-31996-143142587185_thumb.jpg

post-31996-143142587193_thumb.jpg

For the top side I used a roofing sealer in a caulk tube bought at the local hardware store. For the diamond plate seam I used plain silicone bathtub caulk. As far as a Jack, I have successfully used my ramp type several times successfully. You merely use the good wheel of your set to raise the damaged one off the ground. The one I have is of a sturdy plastic that is light weight and easy to use. It came with an aluminum bracket that I screwed to the wall of my trailer to keep it were I need it.

I use a Trailer-Aid Ramp. http://www.traileraid.com/products/Trailer%252dAid-PLUS-%252d%252d-Yellow.html The model I have is rated for 15,000 lbs which is much more than my fully loaded trailer weighs. Drive the good tire up onto the Trailer-Aid and the flat tire is raised off the ground so you can change it. I have my Trailer_aid hanging on the wall of my trailer until it is needed. Speaking of needed, last October on my way to Fall Hershey I had a flat on one of my trailer tires. It took me all of about 5 minutes to change the flat tire once I found my breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts. Given the pouring down rain at the time I was glad the tire change was quick. This spring I used the trailer aid when I removed the tires from my trailer to get new ones. FYI, you can find one of these for less than the cost quoted in the above link. Yes, wood is less expensive so it comes down to how much you want to spend and what you want to use I suppose.

I also use the Trailer-Aid Ramp, and mine has an extra thick rubber block to raise the wheel an additional amount.

Don't forget to loosen the lug nuts just a bit before rolling the trailer onto the ramp, and then tightening again when finished and the new tire is back on the ground.

This device is also handy for adjusting the brakes on your trailer by having a wheel hanging free - and 2 ramps, or 2 wood wedges works just as well so you can do one axle at a time.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest Pops1532

Quad caulk would be a good choice for the roof to trim joint. Do not caulk the bottom side of the trim! You should be able to buy Quad caulk at a vinyl siding dealer. It comes in many colors. It's much easier to use when it's warm.

• 3 weeks later...