1927 Paige interior

wayne sheldon

Just a side-note. Earlier, I posted this as part of a response to a photo posted on another antique automobile website. I figured I should put this part of it here also. Just for whomever's interest.

A side note about antique cars and seat covers. My 1927 Paige sedan (been in my family now for 47 years) has seat covers on both front and back bottom cushions. Years ago, I found an original 1928 issue dealer's parts book showing all the parts for my model Paige. The seat covers are listed in there as a factory option.

Sadly, the original interior is in very poor condition, and must be replaced. But I always thought it was odd. Paige advertised as "The Most Beautiful Car in America", and did strive to live up to that slogan. The interior was originally beautiful, plush, mohair. The seat covers were ugly blue striped white heavy cloth like pillows and mattresses used to be covered in. It was kind of sad that those beautiful seats were covered up, from day one, and never enjoyed.

I have begun working on the car a bit, and hope to get going on replacing the interior. I have toyed with the idea of replacing the seat covers even, if I get that far. But I probably won't. However, as long as I am around and have the car, the remains of the original covers will be kept to show what was there originally.

I also wonder. Did many other (that early, much later was common) manufacturers sell cars new with seat covers?

For what it is worth.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

• 2 weeks later...

23hack,

Sorry that I haven't responded. Basically, computers and I do not get along nearly as well as model Ts and I do. For the most part, I hate computer programmers. They grew up wasting their childhoods playing "Super Mario Brothers" and believe that everyone likes to play hide and seek with everything on the screen. Most people DO NOT want to play hide and seek with their computer programs. Most people want programs that do the job that they are supposed to do, and they want people that provide services to keep the promises they make. About the time I begin getting used to a system, someone changes everything and hides how I used to do things. I tried to respond via AACA PMs and wound up I don't know where with nothing to write a response on.

Enough ranting out of me.

Is your Paige a 6-72? 6-70? 4-door? 2-door? Is it running /driveable now? Do you recall what source the photos you saw were from? There is a fair amount of information out there, but most of it is not assembled very much and therefore difficult to find. About ten years ago, I tried to collect a bunch of literature that was showing up on eBad, but someone kept outbidding me. I did get several things pertaining to my 6-45 sedan because I got determined to bid high enough. Other things, whoever they were, they had a lot more money to play with than I did. I hope they have a wonderful collection and take good care of it.

Paige is a greatly under-rated car that should have a bigger following in the hobby than it does. In an industry that was notorious for corporate bankruptcies, they made a profit in all but one year from 1913 until they sold out to the Grahams. Only a handful of automobile manufacturers did so well. Generally, they very well built, fast and reliable, and usually in the top ten percent of producers. It is interesting to me, that a fellow I know has had several Pierce Arrows for many years. He bought a 6-66 Paige touring car on a whim and decided he likes to drive it better than the Pierces.

My car still needs a lot of work before it will be of any real value, but it was a solid rebuildable original needing a full restoration. It is about half done now, but hasn't had much work done for a couple decades. I have begun to work on it again, so who knows. Meanwhile, I guess I will have to drive my model Ts.

And do keep in touch. Best to do so with direct email. Usually, I can figure out how to do that.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2