55 NOS A/C Part

Paul Falabella

Just got the NOS Suction/Discharge manifold I need for the 55 Roadmaster. The one on the car is bare,mostly aluminum and brass. The one I bought is painted black.The caps are red plastic. Does that look correct? The paint is flaky and I think I am going to remove it before installing. The box appears correct and the part number on the label is correct. Just wondering about the paint.post-54093-143142585633_thumb.jpg

It seems to me that this would be installed on the compressor when the whole unit was painted at the factory. The red plastic caps would be on to keep dirt out of the system and paint off the threads. When it is time to hook up the copper lines, off come the caps. So leave the paint alone, unless you like more brass to polish...

Glad you got the part Paul!! By the way, you are replacing all the ring seals in there while you are at it, right? And the shraeder valves too? Cheap insurance for the price of R-12...

Not the spring loaded Schrader's of today. Under the caps to the left are square headed shafts that open and close with a ratchet. I think the seats on mine are worn. I asked about the paint because I think it was just for temporary protection and is flaking off, which is why I think it might be better to remove it.

Paul, remove the paint and use something more durable. The missing paint where the mounting bolt goes tells me it has been mounted before :(. I have received many 'NOS' parts that were just the old part stuck in the box and later dug up to be sold. It is probably as serviceable as any used part, so go ahead and try it. If you paid a premium for NOS, maybe a partial refund could be requested.

Willie

I think there are Schrader valves under the smaller caps. If there are, or wherever they are in the system, replace the guts inside with modern ones.

At least on my '54, the turn valves under the larger caps have a small o-ring seal along the shaft, and those need to be replaced using some ac oil to lube them. Good luck!!

I think there are Schrader valves under the smaller caps. If there are, or wherever they are in the system, replace the guts inside with modern ones.

At least on my '54, the turn valves under the larger caps have a small o-ring seal along the shaft, and those need to be replaced using some ac oil to lube them. Good luck!!

No Schrader valve on that assembly; just service valves under the large caps that open the service ports under the small caps. There is a Schrader valve under the cap on the bottom of the body of the compressor...that is used for checking and adding oil to the compressor.