Leaking Radiator- what to do?

avantey

We tok the 1912 Overland out for a weekend tour with the HCCA gang and she developed a very leaky radiator. It did not leak Memorial Day in the parade but was losing water a high rate all weekend. The leak is in a very lower corner and rate is about 1/2 gallon per hour when sitting. I cannot really afford a radiator right now and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any leak stoppers like a Bar's Leak product. They have many for all severity and types of leaks so an idea of which one or which type of material in one of these would be a great help. I really do not like the idea of doing this but I would like it to get me thru the summer. I can then remove the radiator for repair or replacement (hopefully not!). I can also just keep adding water every time we stop to get thru also I guess. Like I said, I am leery of these types of products but maybe they have improved in the last thirty years too.

Any help/experience is appreciated,

I have a freeze plug that was starting to leak, and of course it is behind the starter. I called stop leak and they recommended a product that was 6 tablets on a card for about $3.00. They said to crush them up and run the car for about an hour, if that didn't do it, repeat. So far it looks like once is enough for me. Also they say it won't harm the engine or radiator. Good luck. greg

Thanks for the responses guys! I actually called Bar's Leak yesterday and after they rolled their eyes at a 102 year old rad they recommended the pills also. I guess I will try them.

It is funny you used a hot glue gun Jack. I had a product called SealsAll on tour with me. It is an MEK based glue that will seal even an active leak in water, gas, etc. I know it works on a gas tank, had not tried it on a radiator. So Saturday before going out I applied lots of it on the cold radiator and it actually stopped the leak. Boy, was I happy now!. Started out driving and in half an hour the radiator was leaking bad as ever, seems once the glue wamed it loosened up too.

Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...

EASY ANSWER, BILL,

I'll pick up the car and bring it south for the next nine or ten months, have the radiator properly soldered down here by a technician, drive the heck out of it through next winter, and get you and your better half to spend some quality time here instead of dealing with snow and cabin fever through January, February, March, and into April.

Rusty- I know this is the right answer and I will go this way after the summer. What I am looking for is a 'patch' so we can use the car. It is our first real driving season with it since we got it in late 2012 and we want to enjoy it if we can.

Marty- Your generosity knows no bounds! Especially the "driving the heck out of it" part...... and then give it back all wore out in time for next summer? BTW this is the better half's car now, legally put it in her name and all, so you gotta deal with her on this offer!

Right after you started the original post I noticed a small puddle coming from my 39 Chevy PU truck heater core. Wiped it up but it was there again the next day. I put in a can of Bars leak, wiped up the puddle, and took it for a 30 minute drive. Haven't seen a drop since. BTW, it's a non pressurized system............Bob

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the testimonial. Not only have I done nothing yet, the leak seems to have stopped with the Seal All now. It is not runnnig on the floor, have driven it twice over the weekend and it seems to be holding now. I have not done an extended ride where it got real warm but it came up to full op temps I am sure. Maybe I won't have to send it to Marty after all.....

Alex Gertz radiator shop in Lancaster PA has been fixing auto radiators forever. They were recently featured in a news story in the local paper where they made a radiator for a rare early car.

Terry

Terry- Does he set up at Hershey? Maybe I can have it out and bring it to him then. I deal with a guy from that area who is a great sheet metal guy. He goes home from Hershey at night, puts wells in fenders or other small work and brings it back the next day. THAT is great service to me!

Thanks