Anybody have knowledge about this car?

retirednow

Pete, are you referring to the yellow arrow or the red arrow in my attached picture of the car?

I'm referring to the yellow arrow. The red arrow points to accessory guards that were sold through the dealers.The attached picture shows the '52 style guards.

post-35932-143142582463_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

I was under the impression that the guards shown in your picture were an option in 1952. They were called "jumbo bumper guards" and were available for an extra charge on series 40 and 50 and standard equipment on series 70. The reason I brought this up was that my '52 Special has the regular type just like the convertible on EBAY. I don't know about '51's but both kinds were available on '52's. Personally, I prefer the regular type to the "jumbo" ones and I'm glad the original owner of my car didn't spring for the option!:)

post-75106-143142582468_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

I was under the impression that the guards shown in your picture were an option in 1952. They were called "jumbo bumper guards" and were available for an extra charge on series 40 and 50 and standard equipment on series 70. The reason I brought this up was that my '52 Special has the regular type just like the convertible on EBAY. I don't know about '51's but both kinds were available on '52's. Personally, I prefer the regular type to the "jumbo" ones and I'm glad the original owner of my car didn't spring for the option!:)

Well son of a gun. Every '52 I've ever seen has had those inner guards that wrap over the bumper and hide the bumper bolt. But I just checked the parts manual, and sure enough, the same part number is shown for '51 and '52 series 40 and 50, and there is a comment that says " Omit when deluxe guards are specified." You learn something every day.

Guest shadetree77
You learn something every day.

Pete, that's one of the things I love about this forum. I'm always learning something here.:)

The first underside photo seems to show rust repairs to the floor. This is typical of this model but the repair looks a bit ordinary, you seem to be able to see a jagged edge from the old floor and a new panel over the top, then a liberal coating of sound deadener.

The rest of the detail looks really good, including the engine bay.

The price I would have thought was reasonable, I would just want to have a good look at that floor repair.

What's that piece of bright angle iron with all the holes in under the gearbox and bolted between the chassis rails? Certainly not original so you would also want to know what that's about!

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77
What's that piece of bright angle iron with all the holes in under the gearbox and bolted between the chassis rails? Certainly not original so you would also want to know what that's about!

Whoa!! How did I miss that?? Giant red flag on that one. That is definitely not supposed to be there. Good catch Stuart. Hope that's not the current owner's version of a "new" transmission mount!

I missed that too. That is nothing more than a light gauge zinc plated angle steel.

040395515536lg.jpg

I used some of this to hang a garage door opener. It's OK for a GDO with cross bracing but I wouldn't rely on a single piece supporting a transmission.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shadetree77

Completely forgot about this thread. DJ, did the seller ever tell you what that angle iron was under there?

Yes it was not anything used structurally. The seller's reply was, "That is a bracket supporting the exhaust system just ahead of the muffler, as it is bolted to a clamp around the exhaust pipe

I would think a more discreetly made hanger would have been sufficient but whoever made it

thought it would suffice ( I assume)

That is what it is though"

I never got around to share the reply.