PowerFlite not shifting.

Guest 1938RC

Guest 1938RC

I have a 1958 Dodge Coronet 6cyl., PowerFlite auto.

When the car is cold the transmission will shift perfectly and continue to do that until it gets warmed up and I shut the car off, like stopping for fuel, for instance.

When the car is restarted and driving, it will not shift into high gear. Most times I can get it to shift by driving about 35/40 mph. and it will engage high gear. That distance could be a few blocks to a few miles. When it does finally shift it will shift perfect until the next shutdown when it starts all over again. A few times I left the car running in neutral and it shifted fine when I resumed driving.

I have adjusted the bands, twice.

Adjusted the shift cable, was slightly off but made no difference.

I seem to have narrowed the problem down to when it is warm and shutting off the car and/or changing gears.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

I have a powerflite service manual. I will find it and look up troubleshooting and see if your issue is mentioned. have you changed the fluid, cleaned the screen? I have a 1954 Chrysler with powerflite. it works well except no kickdown. had it when I bought the car. somewhere along the way it just stopped operating.these transmissions are known to be very reliable. capt den

Guest 1938RC
so far no luck finding anything specific on your problem. I have one more powerflite manual to find in my garage to look at. will keep you posted capt den

Thank you, I appreciate your looking.