Steam car Tour

The Eastern steam tour will be in Lakeville Ct July 6-11. We will be touring in Litchfield county and also Dutchess and Columbia counties in NY.

I just thought there might be a few local folks might like to know, we are expecting about 20 steam cars, Stanley's and at least one White. Tuesday July 8 we be visiting Toplands Farm in Roxbury CT, we should be there before noon and leaving after a couple of hours

Another good place to catch the cars will be on Wednesday, again around Noon, in Copake Falls,NY at the Copake Iron Works

Sarah and I are hosting this years tour, between setting up all the runs and trying to get the car ready.... I've had to put the yard work on the back burner

• 2 weeks later...
Is this event a National event? I do not know a thing about the club but am curious?

Wayne

I don't think there is a steam car club, is there?

I think these guys just organize tours amongst themselves. If you want to join the "club", you buy a steamer.

I do recall that the closest thing to a "club" steam people had was the Stanley Museum in Kingfield, Maine. They published a newsletter a few times a year, but it was about the Stanley Brothers in general, with a heavy dose of steam. The museum owned at least three Stanleys, I think.

There was a major personnel shake-up several years ago when founder Susan Davis departed. Since then I don't know what they are doing, if they are active in the steam cars, or even if the museum continues to exist. Perhaps someone can provide an update.

--Scott

The Stanley Museum in Kingfield, ME is alive and well, although I believe the second site in Estes Park, CO, had to close. Scott is right that it's largely about the Stanley twins, who were into many things besides steam cars. They were teachers, they had a very successful company making dry plates (they sold the company to George Eastman, which was the source of at least some of the money they used to get into the steam business), they were quite good amateur violin makers, and one of them developed the airbrush and used it in portraiture. The museum also gives some attention to their sister Chansonetta, who was an accomplished photographer. The head of the museum's board is John Linderman, a very active Stanley driver from CT. Apropos nothing, John and I are going to share a trailer and go to the New London to New Brighton Antique Car Run in MN in August, he with his Stanley and I with my one-lung Cadillac.

The HCCA has an Affiliated Registry called the Antique Steam Touring Club. While some of its members will be on the CT tour next week, it's not the sponsor. I'm not sure whether there is an official sponsor. Typically there are three steam tours a year, one in the east, one in the far west, and one in the middle somewhere like Kansas. I believe Scott is right, that a tour just happens because someone decides to put it on. I've been on a couple of the eastern ones, and they've been fun and very informal. But, by the time they get around to organizing and announcing it, I've often found I already had a prior commitment.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Hey guys

sorry for the lack of response

the tour is off and running, the first day is behind us. You can catch some photos at http://2014steamtour.weebly.com

Frank, Olana was yesterday, but come over to the Copake Iron Works on Wednesday around noon, or the Interlaken Inn in Lakeville any morning to see everyone fire up

Today we are headed to Roxbury CT to Toplands Farm

the Stanley Museum is alive and well, like many small museums they have there financial issues, but they are still very active, they have a car a this tour. Anyone is welcome to join http://Stanleymuseum.org

I will add more later, but have to go get the car ready for today

Some new photos of Wednesday and Tuesday No plunger needed ;)

The weather has been good and looks like it will be even better tomorrow and friday

A few breakdowns on Monday have been fixed and cars are steaming again, so far only one serious breakdown.

Tomorrow we head to FDR home in Hyde Park NY, a little under 90 miles round trip, think Ill try to get an early start