My first Buick - 1960 4639 Invicta 4 door hardtop

Guest Cz10

And am I excited!!! I decided to reduce my current car interest in Porsche and re-kindled a memort of some 55 years ago when I saw my first 59 or 60 Buick 4 door flattop and fell in love. As they say, timing is everything, and shortly after I started my search in earnest, I think I struck gold.

This car was in the Nov 2008 Bugle. Formerly owned by Anthony Vespoli, it is original except for paint below the window line and engine detailing that Tony did. He was the former President of the Yankee chapter. It earned 397 points at the Nationals in 98, Senior Award in 99 at Columbus and AACA First Junior Award at Hershey in 2004. It now has just over 42K on the clock. Tony passed on exactly 1 year ago today, and I purchased the car from another collector in the town where Tony lived.

Since I am on the west coast and really know nothing about 60 Buicks, I hired a person with intimate knowledge of the model year to do an inspection. His email report began with "I left no stone unturned, but make no mistake, I think this car is incredible. Exceptional original combined with well restored. Best part in my opinion is that it is completely stock and untampered-with. Whatever was done was done with respect for the car and its original character." When I read that, I knew I had found something special. I hope to be as good a steward as Tony was.

Intercity is picking it up next week. I can hardly wait.

post-100613-143142576344_thumb.jpg

post-100613-143142576344_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cz10
Add images (see edit history)

All of Tony's cars were exceptional. I am so glad to hear someone on this forum got this one. And I'd bet Tony is even more happy to hear it's going to a preservationist. Why don't you have the car delivered to Portland, then you can drive it home. All of Tonys cars were/ are road ready at any given moment.

Tony was a great guy, and is sadly missed.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Thanks Keith and John... It is a special car and I am thrilled to have found it.

Well John, I have a list from the fellow who did the PPI of things I need to do when it gets here - New tires (Coker Classic Radials) to replace the 95 vintage bias ply on it now, New shocks (drivers side mushy), Filters and fluids, fuel lines, lube, seat belts etc... before I feel it is good to go for an extended trip. There is a possibility I may drive it to Portland - the jury is still out - meaning my wife is undecided - she wants to ride in it and drive it first to see if she will be comfortable - especially driving it on the long stretches of nothing between here and there when I get tired.

I purchased the car from Rick Cyr in Waterford, who new Tony and had purchased it from Tony's daughter only a few months ago, then decided to downsize his collection. He was great to work with and a real gentleman.

My plan is to keep it like it is except for adding A/C from most likely Vintage Air. I have located an original factory A/C duct work and outlet vents and I am going to take it to the Vintage installer to see if we can make that work.

The inspector found no evidence of any rust repairs ever being done on the car. The only significant issue is that the body re-spray of the Pearl Fawn color is slightly off (perhaps from age) and that is noticeable with the doors open in the right light.

Otherwise, there is very little to do on the car - The Invicta emblems on the fenders are not the correct finish and I have obtained replacements. The screen under the cowl inlet is body color so I need to paint that black. The right front beltline chrome is a bit rough - but certainly passable until a replacement is found. Some bumper straightening will be in order at some point too.

I have obtained correct YOM California plates and period license plate frames from Tracy Buick-Opel in Oakland, CA - where I first saw either a 59 or 60 Buick and fell in love at age 7 with those delta wings, plus it is the city where I was born and lived most of my life.

Once all the dust settles, there will be nothing to do then drive!!! (I'm not big into shows - I'd rather tour)

Am very familiar with Tony's cars, having judged this one some years ago. Like you say, it is a special car needing almost nothing. We published an article in the Buick Club magazine that Tony wrote about this car some years ago, not long after he found it. Not sure if I could find that article--it was about 7 years ago, I think.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Thanks Pete. I was hoping to find a nice clean original car but this is beyond that. The inspector was really impressed by the interior condition showing no typical signs of heat or sun exposure. The foam of the seats is like new. There is a "green" cold light on the dash that he said is almost always faded to yellow. This one is bright green. The head liner and bright metal trim are as new. Remarkable car and I am sure I will be pinching myself for a long time to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Yes, the article was in the Nov 2008 issue. I have a scan of the article. I am waiting for all the paperwork that goes with the car so I can sort through things. I'd bet there is a copy of that issue. It is the one with Greg Cockerell's 60 convertible on the cover. If not, I'll hunt one down.

Incidentally, it appears that Tony may have not had the history quite right. It appears that the former long time owner (before Alan Hanks) may have been a two Buick family that had purchased a new 60 coupe from Shannon, but this car may have been acquired in 68. The invoice for the coupe was in with the paperwork, as was what appears to be the Ohio title and license documents for this car from 68. So more digging.... That to me is the fun part... Digging up the history. I tracked down Alan Hanks and had a chat with him about how he got the car. So now the only gap is pre 1968.

One of the things I hope to find is information from the 98 National judging to see what the point deductions were for so maybe I can address those. It isn't that I want to compete in showing the car. I tried that with my Porsche and found it was just not my cup of tea. But I do find it interesting and fun to have a car that is as close as possible to how it left the factory, or at minimum the knowledge of that information.

Hi Don,

I owned a '60 Electra sedan for six years (2008-2014) and only recently sold it to acquire an all original '63 Riviera. So feel free to ask any questions! There are a lot of '60 enthusiasts and experts on this forum, Bernie 60FlatTop being one of them, who will be more than glad to answer any questions you may have. So welcome and ask away!

post-64715-143142586775_thumb.jpg

Great car and in amazing original condition. I have several 1959's and 2 1960's including a original 225 flat top 4 door. They are great road cars. I drove my 1959 Invicta to the 2009 Nationals from Seattle to Colorado Springs. We traveled 300-600 miles a day in a group of 7 59's and all averaged about 16-17 mpg with full trunks.

I have two inputs, one is the front seat. I am tall 6'4" and found my 59-60,s with manual front seat uncomfortable on a longer drive. The cars with electric seat can be tilted to a comfortable angle on the longer drive. Easy to do, install the electric seat track assembly on your seat and hook up one power wire.

Second is the tire and whitewall size. I find the cars drive much better with radials but like to keep the side wall the correct width. The stock width is 2 1/4 white wall. I was unable to just buy this size, so I have ordered mine from Diamond back classic tires. I ask for 2 3/8 width as a little is under the rim bead and now 2 1/4" is exposed. Looks good, and is as close to the correct bias tire look.

You have a great car, it would be a shame to miss going to Portland with it as it would be hard to know how long until its this close to you again and us west coast Buick nuts would like to see it.

Steve Fisher

Thanks Jan and Steve.

Steve - The power seat is interesting. I am not so tall (6'0") but my wife has back issues and being able to adjust the angle might be good, we'll see. Is the wiring already there, per chance? I guess the switches mount on the seat.

As far as tires, I ordered radials, but out of ignorance and not finding any other source, I ordered from Cocker and they will have much wider white-walls then stock - oh well... I also have new shocks coming in that the inspector felt the driver's side front was suspect. When it gets here, tires, shocks, fluid and filter changes are in order along with seat belts. I have material samples for belts so I can order a complementary color.

I got a call from Lloyd with Intercity, the driver who picked up the car Friday and will deliver it to me. He estimates at this point not being here until July 10, so the chances of taking it to Portland, as much as I would love too, are pretty slim.

But at least I will be able to attend. I'm trying to work out going to the forum breakfast. I think I will switch our sight-seeing day to Thursday and spend Friday and Saturday at the meet and then leave about 1 P.M. for my nieces wedding.

Nice car, imagine if you had one back then and kept it:

post-46237-143142587259_thumb.jpg

Although I didn't keep that one, its one of a long sting of Buicks, older and newer.

We took my Electra over to the town 5 miles away and drove along the Erie Canal with the windows down and the vents open. Back roads, no traffic, no engine noise, no road noise; my wife said "I like this." I'll probably keep both of them.

Bernie

Date codes were 5th, 12th and 15th weeks of this year.

Yes, Bernie, I'm looking forward to such experiences. I'm tired of hot, noisy, small cars.