desperately seeking steering wheel help

Guest bigdee47

Guest bigdee47

I posted here about a year ago for help with a banjo wheel, a Sheller #2. Since then I have received puzzled looks, misinformation, and silence from many sources, including a wheel restorer who says he's been in the business for 30 years and never seen one of these. I've seen a few Shellers, including a #2, posted on eBay, but the sellers seem to not know anything about them.

So: I need to find a steering wheel expert. It's clearly a '30's-era 18-inch wheel, has a 5/8 shaft, a 3.5" horn button opening, chrome hub, and has 40 shaft splines. I bought it thinking it would fit a late '30's Packard, but they all seem to have 36 shaft splines.

I would really be grateful if someone could positively identify the vehicle (or boat) to which it belongs.

Yes, I could post pictures, but they just seem to encourage speculation. Even if you could tell me what cars had 40 splines on the steering shaft, that would be a big help.

Also, I was told by a local restorer that he remembers seeing an article in one of the club or trade magazines on classic era steering wheels. Does that ring a bell for anyone? Title and date for that article would be a big help, if you know.

Thanks a lot for any and all leads.

David

Edited by bigdee47
forgot some details (see edit history)

Here is some info on Sheller.

Looking on the internet it looks like they made steering wheels for jeeps and fords. Also used in boats.

[h=3]1916: Sheller Manufacturing Corporation[/h] Sheller began in 1916 as a wood rim steering wheel manufacturer in Portland, Indiana. In 1958, Sheller had produced the first recessed safety steering wheel and padded dash safety package offered by Ford Motor Company.

Check out the wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheller-Globe_Corporation

Dave

..and for Studebaker. See this thread on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?71858-Studebaker-steering-wheels-Which-was-best-1935-or&highlight=steering+wheel . The 1941 Studebakers had some very nice banjo wheels.

I have a large, black Sheller wheel for a large Studebaker truck of the early to late 1940's. It's not easy to count the splines on the inside of the wheel hub, but it looks like about 40. It fits on a shaft with an o.d. of 0.875 inch.

Also see the web site for the Shrock Brothers, who make excellent car models, molded small parts, and re-manufactured Sheller banjo steering wheels: http://www.shrockbrothers.com/steering_wheels.html

Guest bigdee47

Thanks, everyone. I did some more poking on the web yesterday, and it looks like Sheller made wheels for just about everyone, including Chris Craft, at some point. The tip from Gary about the Shrock Bros looks hopeful. I'll try to contact them tomorrow. When I finally resolve this, if I ever do, I owe it to you to let you know. I guess this is why lots of people love those "Can you say what this is?" teaser pictures in the trade mags. It's one thing to take a part off a car and get a new one to match. Quite another to hand someone a piece and ask, "Do you know what this is?"

Guest bigdee47

Hmm. 175 views, only the above replies. Maybe I shoulda posted pictures. OK, here they are.

Maybe I shouldn't have said, "Thanks for the help," possibly making it sound like I was moving on. I did send a msg to the Schrock Bros, nothing in reply for several days. I posted on the Cadillac forum, with pictures. 75 people have viewed, again no response. One guy at a local antique boat club wrote back and said the guy who would know passed away last month. I really didn't expect this to be that hard. I'm mystified.

Does anyone out there even remember seeing that article on steering wheels a year or two ago?

Help!!!

post-94586-143142582502_thumb.jpg

post-94586-143142582504_thumb.jpg

post-94586-143142582507_thumb.jpg

post-94586-143142582509_thumb.jpg

post-94586-143142582512_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigdee47
clarification (see edit history)

Your wheel looks very much the 1937 Studebaker wheel shown on the Shrock web site, except for the details molded into the rim at the outer edge of the five "banjo strings". If nothing else, it might help to at least give an approximate date for the wheel. As the photo on their web site is one of a re-molded wheel, it's possible that they didn't include some of the original details, though they usually do. Try calling the Shrocks, as I don't think they do a lot of email. I'll probably see them next week at the Studebaker 2014 International Meet in Dover, Delaware.

post-47871-143142583277_thumb.jpg

Guest bigdee47

Thanks, Gary. I couldn't help noticing the similarities to the '37 Studebaker when I looked at the Schrock site. Since I don't know, I can't give a date. But my wheel looks similar to at least a dozen different wheels from the late '30's, so that's the best I can do with a date.

I'll give them a call today.

Thanks again, David

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigdee47

Well, if you're still watching, I just got off the phone with the Shrock Bros, after my first call of 2 weeks ago. "We've been watching steering wheels a long time, and never have seen anything like THAT." Apparently what's unique are the speed marks molded into the plastic, as well as the 40 spline shaft. A boat mechanic of similar depth of experience said the same thing, and added that he's never seen a boat wheel without a keyed shaft.

I'd be deeply indebted if someone could come up with something definitive. But for now, I'm moving on (to the Antique Boat Museum). Does this club, the AACA, have a similar library library research help?

Thanks everyone.

David

dlecount@ma.org