What is this old touring car?

13White

I agree with Layden's comment about using something Canadian but BC is out west and they probably used whatever they was available. I think it looks more like a Lexington even though the windshield is quite different. I found this pic of a 1919 McLaughlin and it is quite different - http://static.auctionservices.com/images/1566677/99104_large.jpg - note the distinctive diamond badge, the sculpted fender tops and the lower, more rounded radiator.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

I think the Canadians showed a considerable amount of discernment and forethought not to put the Prince of Wales in a Canadian car.

And why would that be, Dwight?

All other royal tours have used Canadian built cars. The 1927, 1939 and 1951 cars definitely still exist, all built in Canada.

However, a little Wikipedia research shows that in 1919 a Packard Twin 6 was used in Toronto and a Cadillac in Winnipeg. In all other tours the cars have followed the royals. Obviously that was not the case in 1919. Nzcarnerd is not far wrong with his "out west" comment. There were no roads worthy of the name connecting BC and Alberta at that time. The railway was the only connection with the rest of Canada. At that time Vancouver wasn't even connected to the rest of BC except by rail due to a bridge washout that wasn't repaired until the middle '20's. Naniamo, the town mentioned the post, is on Vancouver Island and transporting a car to the island would have been difficult, so using something available locally would have been the easiest thing to do. I concede that it does appear to be a Lexington. :o

Terry

Definitely not a McLaughlin. But look at that very distinctive wind shield frame. Must agree on Lexington but not exactly the same model as in Leif Holmberg's photo. I vote for a 1919 Lexington R-19 touring. It appears to be the only year Lexington used the "cranked" windshield shape . 1918 and 1920 appear to use straight sided windshields.

Greg in Canada {not all that far from Naniamo}

Hi, Been looking a bit deeper into the subject and have found another photo of HRH in the car at Nanaimo showing the side of the car which shows 10 spoke front and 12 spoke rear wheels, and long multiple slanted louvers which limits it to 1919 car and therefore a Lexington R-19 Touring 5 places. Cranked windscreen seems to have been from 1917 to 1919.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

• Thanks 1