Timing

bob duffer

Bob,

The timing marks are on the edge of the pulley on the cranshaft closest to the engine block. They are hard to see and may have been painted over or gunked up. You can clean them off and then put white paint on the correct mark. Having said that, unless you have a fresh rebuild most people have success using a vacuum gauge and advancing the timing until the a smooth idle is achieved and backing if off slightly. You can also advance the timing until the engine pings on acceleration and then back it off until it doesn't ping. The pointer attaches to the front of the engine and is available from T-Bird parts suppliers such as CASCO.

By the way, the Classic Thunderbird Club International offers an excellent restoration manual that would answer most all the questions you have and is an excellent source of information about these cars. I know I repeat myself, but the club is well worth joining for the support is provides for us who own these cars. That manual plus a shop manual will be a great assist to you restoration.

Regards,