Eye's on design car show report

Bhigdog

I'm back from Detroit and the EOD show. First of all I'd like to say the venue on the grounds of the Edsel Ford estate is beautiful. I'd also like to thank the volunteers who make it possible for the show to help those who are vision impaired. I hadn't heard of the show when our 56 Chrysler was invited via a "cold call" from a member of the selection committee. I was reluctant to make the drive but was implored by the gentleman to please bring our car, he had seen it at St.John's, it would be a perfect fit etc etc etc. So eventually I agreed to bring our car.

I'd like to offer a few of our experiences and observations at the show. Trailer parking is available only on the day of the show and is in a public parking lot shared by boat trailers, general public cars, trucks etc. There was no signage directing car owners to either the lot or show field. The trailers were rather densely packed with little or no room to load without moving the trailer forward. There were only two ways into or out of the lot. When I left the lot only one exit was doable with a trailer and that was close.

After getting our car set up in the assigned spot on the field and getting it detailed we set up our two folding chairs a distance behind our car to await the public and judges. We were very shortly advised that we were required to remove our chairs from the field and if we wanted to sit, we should go to the perimeter of the show field to do so. That put us about 90 yards away and for the most part out of sight of our car. I found the gentleman who invited our car and asked about the no chair rule. He said that was correct. When I asked for the reasoning, he said the EOD show was not like a regular show. It was a show all about "design" and that the show field itself was a design and the car's owners sitting around would detract from that design. HUH? I said in my experience the general public enjoys chatting with car owners, asking questions, sharing experiences etc etc etc. Not only that but the car owners like to chat up other owners with like interests. He said if I wished I could stand by my car. I said "I'm 74 years old are you really saying I should stand by my car all day along with my 71 year old wife?" He finally said OK we can sit by the class sign but don't get in the way of people taking pictures. Finding that suggestion degrading we took our chairs to the side of the field. We took a walk, we sat by the lake where my wife made the very cogent observation that "we could have stayed home and done this".

We now flash forward to quitting time. The stated time of the show's conclusion was 1630 with firm orders that no one was to leave the field until the conclusion. At 1610 the spectators had dwindled to a precious few and the MC on the address system announced that the awards presentation was concluded and thanked everyone for everything.

Now thinking ahead to the congested and confused trailer field I quietly and slowly eased the Chrysler off the field. At the exit of the field itself leading to the access road was a guy with a golf cart and radio. I would have expected a "thank you for bringing your car" but instead I got a very loud, belligerent, and verbally abusive guy. I stopped and explained my situation and got nothing except more arm waving, and verbal abuse. I continued off the grounds to the trailer field where I loaded up and was able to just squeeze out the exit. As I left other cars were starting to stream in.

I'm certain that many others found the show to their liking and enjoyment. To you I say "We envy you". As for us it was 4 days of our life and $1000 in expenses that we will never get back............................Robert and Caroline Beck

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Mr Beck,

I'm the fellow who visited with you and told you of a car near exactly like yours, seen in an antique gas station in Elkhorn WI. I truly sympathize with you on all points except the lawn chairs. While it was unfortunate that the placement of your vehicle in the center of the show field sort of left you "on the outside looking in", attendees of this high end car show, like myself, appreciate the fact that we can see and photograph these fantastic specimens ,like yours,without having them surrounded with lawn chairs, coolers, excessive and obnoxious signage, cry babies, etc, with hoods and deck lids closed. I believe the intent of this show is to display the lines and beauty of the cars, perhaps as one may have seen in an advertisement. None the less, I'm sure many others, like myself, appreciate the hassle you and your wife endured in order for us to see your car. Thank You, Larry W

Larry, yes I do remember chatting with you. BTW, That chat would not have happened while I was banished to the sidelines. At the many concours shows including Meadow Brook/St Johns I have attended all of the things you mention (save chairs) correctly are NOT permitted nor are they seen on the field. The one thing that is permitted, however, is the automobile owner. And, as any experienced "high end" exhibitor my wife and I are very well aware of the paying public and do everything possible to make their experience enjoyable including moving chairs, opening/closing hoods, doors, schmoozing, etc etc. Awards aside, the one thing an owner cherishes the most are the compliments and conversations with the public. My wife and I were deprived of that at the cost of time, money, and enjoyment for absolutely no good reason...........................Robert Beck

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about seeing if I could get the Givenchy to be shown there. They were featuring personal luxury cars and even mentioned Givenchy in the program, plus I know someone that knew someone on the committee. But I didn't do it. I don't think I missed much. I talked to friends that had their car there, and they said they had to be there at 7:30 a.m., and then they ran out of breakfast food. So they didn't get any.

I got there at a nice leisurely 11:00, and had more than enough time to see everything twice or more. It wasn't a very big show. I also thought that it was tacky that after paying $20.00 to get in, they wanted another $12.00 to tour Edsel's house.

I wanted to see it once, and I did. But I don't think I need to see it again. I'd rather spend both days at Greenfield Village with Motor Muster.

I have yet to attend a show that people didn't have something to complain about. I have attended hundreds the past 62 years. At 77 I understand rules, and THINK most others do tooooooo !

The chair rule is a good one. First chairs show up, then tents, then large coolers, tables, and dog pens, radios blasting, come on, paying viewers come to see/photo the cars, how hard is it to understand such?

If anyone doesn't like the rules STAY home.

Dale in Indy

It's not a question of "rules". I have no problem with any show setting whatever rules they deem appropriate. The problem I do have, in this case, is a failure of disclosure of those rules in advance of the show.

I did not volunteer my car for entry in the show. I received a cold call from a member of the selection committee more or less begging me to bring my Chrysler. A very rosy picture of the show was presented comparing it to Meadow brook, St. Johns, the charity aspect and good works were extolled, etc, etc. I specificly told the gentleman that I would be hauling to the Ault Park concours the week end before his show and I was reluctant to do back to back 9 hour drives. Over the course of three phone calls I agreed to bring my car as much as a favor as anything else.

In due course I was sent an entrant's package of info and do's and don'ts. NO WHERE in that package or my in conversations was it EVER mentioned that nothing other than cars would be allowed on the show field.

I have been invited to a fair number of concours and I've never been told to keep myself and my chair away from my car, especially in such a degrading fashion. At every concours event all the other things you mention, save chairs, are prohibited and rightly so. As for taking photographs I've assisted far far more folks in getting the shot they desire instead of being "in the way".

What it boiled down to was this: I was expected to deliver my car for the use of the show and then to go somewhere else until I was told to remove my car from the field. HOWEVER, that was not the picture painted before hand. If it were I would have politely declined.

In truth the EOD show was little more than a local car show with delusions of grandeur.................Bob

I'm sure you are a great guy, with wonderful intentions, and certainly a neat car, maybe, just maybe you shared a bit of the blame, if one could call it such, by not asking for a copy of the rules. Everyone must know rules will be present at any show.

Sorry you now have such a low opinion of the show, I know of others that think it was very nice, but maybe they weren't "high end" exhibitors.

My brother promoted a car show in Texas for years, each year more and more issues, so he gave it up, and THEN they really hollered.

I'm sure you contacted the promoter directly, all promoters I would think have the desire to improve their promotion, and please as many as possible.

Hopefully everyone can caulk it up as a learning experience. You make some good points.

Dale in Indy

I was sent the "rules" in advance of the show complete with maps, yellow high lighting, and bold print. No mention was made of the no chair rule and it is, in fact, so bizarre a rule who would think to ask that specific question................Bob

I thought about seeing if I could get the Givenchy to be shown there. They were featuring personal luxury cars and even mentioned Givenchy in the program, plus I know someone that knew someone on the committee. But I didn't do it. I don't think I missed much. I talked to friends that had their car there, and they said they had to be there at 7:30 a.m., and then they ran out of breakfast food. So they didn't get any.

I got there at a nice leisurely 11:00, and had more than enough time to see everything twice or more. It wasn't a very big show. I also thought that it was tacky that after paying $20.00 to get in, they wanted another $12.00 to tour Edsel's house.

I wanted to see it once, and I did. But I don't think I need to see it again. I'd rather spend both days at Greenfield Village with Motor Muster.

Motor Muster is a great weekend event. Very laid back and still a top notch show in a beautiful setting.

Motor Muster is a great weekend event. Very laid back and still a top notch show in a beautiful setting.

Yes, I was there on Saturday. There were a couple of Cutlasses parked in the same area as me, but I could not remember what the one in your avatar looked like.

Since I was at "Eyes" on Sunday, I did not get to do the pass and review at Motor Muster on Sunday. I would have liked hearing what they have to say about my car, and whether any of it is accurate.

I recently brought a car to Amelia for a customer. We took a trophy one down from best of show. I know how much the customer spent sending the car to the show. To have told him to stay away from the car and no chairs behind the car would have made him remove the car from the field. Like it or not, world class cars are owned by people who like to be seen with their cars, either driving or showing, most people don't walk away from a car thats in the 7 figures. The no chair rule should be made very clear. We were considering doing this show next year. Now I am sure we will pass. I do hear it's a good show. Ed

Perhaps an adequate solution to the "chair rule" dilemma would be to allow chairs at a specified distance, say ten feet, behind the car so as to allow a clear shot for those with cameras. If I want information or would like the hood or trunk closed, I'm not shy about asking "Whose car is this?"

Yes, I was there on Saturday. There were a couple of Cutlasses parked in the same area as me, but I could not remember what the one in your avatar looked like.

Since I was at "Eyes" on Sunday, I did not get to do the pass and review at Motor Muster on Sunday. I would have liked hearing what they have to say about my car, and whether any of it is accurate.

I was parked next to a black and gold 72 442 facing down the road and a pinto was to my right that had a inflatable dealer horse next to it (I swear that little prop got more attentions, pictures and comments than the car did lol)