Need hood ornament for 1937 DeSoto to complete restoration

Guest mikendor

Guest mikendor

Hi, My hood ornament from my 1937 DeSoto disappeared from the chrome shop where it was being re-plated. I am in the middle of restoration and now must find a replacement. Any leads or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have been faithfully watching ebay, craigslist, emailing all over the country and calling all over to try to find one. Yes, the chrome shop is on the line to pay for the replacement...the problem is finding one.

Thank you

Try Don Sommer at americanarrowcorp.com. He lists several Desoto ornaments, although I did not see 1937. They do make ornaments for many classic cars, so contact them. Expensive, but superb quality.

Guest mikendor
post-101321-143142574178_thumb.jpgPosting a few pics of my hood ornament as it was before it was taken from us. The search goes on for a replacement. :(:mad:

post-101321-143142574176_thumb.jpg

post-101321-143142574176_thumb.jpg

post-101321-143142574178_thumb.jpg

My suggestion is have a search on eBay that returns emails to you every day with all new listings of hood ornaments for sale. Limit the criteria to 1930's & 1940's. Do this because many sellers do not know what they have.

Hello Mikendor, I am another 1937 owner. I could sure use a hood emblem. I will try to get a picture of my car so you can see how creative the previous owner was to work the hood catch. Does anyone have a 1937 DeSoto, involved with restoration, and would be willing to loan a hood ornament for duplication? It may be a bit costly but if several of use shared the cost of the investment casting, we could end up with a far superior item than the original. I would suggest to make them out of a high strength bronze, not yellow brass. Even yellow brass would be better than the original. I am also going to post a thread down in the DeSoto section and see if anyone is willing to help out on this project.

Al

• 1 month later...
Guest mikendor

Al, If we hear of another hood ornament from all the calls & emails we sent we will let you know. Good luck with your search.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your reminder note. I had forgotten to post a picture of my "Home Brew" hood latch handle. I would almost be proud to drive down main street with my release handle proudly leading the way for my car. The funny thing is.....it works great! Have you had any success with coming up with an original item?

Alan

Guest mikendor

We got an original replacement in the mail this week. If we hear of another we will let you know. There is one on Ebay, but the base is not correct. I guess a base could be made if someone wanted to go that route.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
14 hours ago, MIGUEL ANGEL said:

Hi guys, i know this conversation its a little old, but i have one 1937 de Soto ornament, i let May e-mail adress 

peregrina_miguel34@hotmail.com

thanks!

Please post a photo or three so I can see the condition.

23 hours ago, JACK M said:

23 hours ago, JACK M said:

32 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Looks pretty good.

Did you message the original poster about this?

There is another guy that was looking awhile back as well.

Thanks jack, i’ll check