1951 Olds 88 New Models

gegrunt

I know from selling body panels that the 1949-50 Olds 88 cars shared the same sheet metal as the 1949-52 Chevy and Pontiac cars. I know they introduced a new Olds 88 body that ran from 1951-53 but I recently found out that Oldsmobile sold some 88's titled as 1951 models but using the 1950 body yet. Can anybody tell me when the change over from the old body style to the new one actually took place for the 1951 models?

The "new" body was the Super 88. The carry-over was known as the 88, sometimes we call it the 88-A. The 88-A was only available as a 2-door and 4-door sedan in '51, where the Super was available as 2-door and 4-door sedan, club coupe, Holiday coupe and convertible. Both 88s were available at the beginning of the model. The 88-A was phased out after a while, but I don't know when. There were two sales brochures that year. The first edition featured the 88-A, Super 88 and 98. The revised edition eliminated the 88-A.

Paul

• 4 months later...
Guest myold88
Thank you for the information Paul, I have a customer in Sweden that I have to help understand the differences between the 88 and 88A so I can provide him with the correct panels for his car.

The exterior body panels of the '49 & '50 Olds 88 are all the same as the '51 88A with only minor trim differences. Front fenders and hood are different than the

Chevrolet. Years ago we sectioned a right rear of a '50 Chev coupe clip onto a damaged '50 Olds Coupe. They were basically the same.

The exterior body panels of the '49 & '50 Olds 88 are all the same as the '51 88A with only minor trim differences. Front fenders and hood are different than the

Chevrolet. Years ago we sectioned a right rear of a '50 Chev coupe clip onto a damaged '50 Olds Coupe. They were basically the same.

Yes, actually the front clip on the Chevy, Pontiac, Olds are different. Chevy is at 115' wheelbase, Olds at 119.5 and Pontiac at 120". I would assume Pontiac is the longest because of the straight eight engine. Firewall back the same shell.

Guest hotball

I have a 51 chevy deluxe coupe "rear seat model" and i need passenger side door. Will the olds, and pontiac door fit? Is the door on the 51 chevy coupe same as the 2dr sedan? Can't seem to find anyone who knows. All help would be appreciated. Does anyone have a door for sale?

Guest myold88

^^^^ I believe they are the same but why not locate at Chevrolet door? I bet 1000 Chevys were were built for every Olds & Pontiac.

It should be a lot easier to find a clean Chevy door and also cheaper IMO. As far as coupe/sedan doors being the same, not sure.