† A sad Father's Day in Bovey, Minnesota

1953mack

I happened to spot this in the STARTRIB Newspaper in Minneapolis, Minnesota and I would be remiss if not passing this along.

To Tim and his Mom, Tim's son Ryan, and the entire Verthein Family and friends, my condolences go out to you at this most difficult time. I remember Ken as a true gentle man.

post-41556-143142566173_thumb.jpg

Check out one of the most memorable ME AND MY BUICK threads that have been posted: http://forums.aaca.org/f163/bringing-dads-1951-roadmaster-back-332363.html

.....Eternal rest grant unto Ken, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.....

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143142566173_thumb.jpg

Guest timinbovey

Wow. Just Wow. First, thanks for noticing, and yes, it's been a tough Fathers Day. Dad passed away early Friday morning after several days in the hospital then two days at the nursing home where we had hoped for more healing that just wasn't going to work out. He passed peacefully in his sleep and Mom and I got to see him and talk to him in his final hours. He was not able to speak back but could understand us and squeeze Mom's hand to let him know he could hear her. I won't go into the medical details but we can chalk it up to old age. He was 86. Services are tomorrow, June 16th. A small simple service as he didn't have much family left and most of his friends have passed on as well.

This morning the family went to the Civil Air Patrol pancake breakfast that they hold every fathers day as a fundraiser. Dad was a private pilot and as young as 3 I remember flying all over Minnesota going to airport pancake breakfasts. I got a bit misty sitting there in the CAP hanger eating breakfast with my Son and his oldest daughter and my wife and one of my daughters.

Work on the car will continue. I originally logged in today to do an update on the car when I discovered this post. Confirming my belief that Buick people are among the best people in the world!

Tim in Bovey

• 5 months later...
Guest timinbovey

I just wanted to add to this thread that Mom passed away this past Wednesday, December 10th. They never got to ride in the Roadmaster again but they did see it come back to life.

Tim in Boveypost-52311-143142883004_thumb.jpg

post-52311-143142882997_thumb.jpg

Our condolences once again Tim. And thank you for posting. .life can be too short and there is no time like the present to accomplish ones goals. May your mom and dad rest in the peace of knowing they raised a caring son.

Guest timinbovey

Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers. Perhaps the somber mood will lift by spring and I'll get back to work on the car. As it is right now you can turn the key and start it, back it out of the garage and take it around the block, and that's not bad considering it sat for 35+ years!

Tim in Bovey