BRAKE LIGHT(S) ON A 41 LC

Is the Brake light on a fuse or circuit breaker? I just finished adding a 7 C.P. bulb in each tail lamp for added safety and they work beautifully until I pull on the on the headlight switch to

"parking lamps" . Then the brake lights go out and will not work for awhile.. Too much Juice?

I found the problem , speaking of "juice" . After sitting for six years , my brake fluid has turned to a brown gooey mass, and I'm sure the brake light switch is the problem. Is the any way to "flush this system , or do I need to

remove all four cylinders and the master to do it? The brakes have been working so far ; I removed the front hubs

and there's Plenty of brake shoe.

I'm unsure what you mean by "and will not work for awhile". The newest year for a wiring schematic I have is 1940. It shows your brake lights are on a circuit breaker via the stop light switch. Just about every lamp on the car is on this same circuit breaker including the head lights. The brake lamps are not lit until you step on the brakes. On the other hand, your tail lights do come on when you pull the light switch to park. Could this be what you mean? I would think that by just putting the light switch to park, which means the headlamps are not lit, you are not drawing enough current (juice) to cause your problem. I think you may need to check your grounds.

I tried the brakes and the lights lit , then would not work. I came back to it after an hour and they worked, but only

briefly. I just now put a jumper wire on the wires at the back of the master cylinder and the brake lights stay on.

I am convinced that all the "junk" in the master cylinder has affected the brake lite switch.

Tomorrow, on to the brake system.

Anyway , to those who care , I flushed the master cylinder after removing the brake light switch , replaced the switch

and I now have THREE brake lights.

Now on to the brake system , which I will open a new thread on.

Thank you Beltfed, for your help ; I originally thought it was a wiring problem.

After sitting for about 25 years my brake fluid was like thick chocolate pudding. After removing and honing all the slave cylinders, replacing the master cylinder, and flushing the lines by pumping brake fluid through them everything works great. My local Napa store (in a town of 7,000) stocked the master cylinder.