1968 buick skylark restoration help

Guest aknapp94

Guest aknapp94

I just purchased a 1968 Buick skylark that is a beauty. It is all original next to the engine. I'm looking to keep everything as original as possible. I'm picking it up next week and will have more pictures. I'm just looking for tips seeing as I'm only 20 years old and this will be my first legit restoration. Only 2 or three small dents and only one 2 inch spot of rust that is on the rear drivers fender. Just looking for advice on the best way to keep a original vehicle more so with interior than anything else but I would love any advice anyone can give me. Only damage to interior is bad carpet which I already found to replace and a couple seams on the seat have come undone. My first question is would linexing the floorboard (under the carpet) hurt my value and how to go about a gauge cluster for engine, water, oil that will still keep a good look and not stand out and look to aftermarket. Thanks for any advice

Guest aknapp94

The spray on liner is exactly what I was referring to. Its something I have come to use a lot. It stops rust very easily. Hoping it will help keep the car together as long as possible . There is no rust coming through but thinking it will help on the long run with living in Iowa

You may find that keeping the interior original is near impossible. Once the seams start to split keeping it repaired will be difficult. Luckily there is a company who specializes in GM A body interiors. Legendary Interiors makes replacement upholstery kits that are perfect matches for our cars.

This may be a good opportunity to think about what "original " means to you. To some, original means the stuff the car comes with, regardless of condition. To others it means refurbished in a manner so as to look original vs modified. Each person is free to make that determination for their own car. In my own case I keep my cars road worthy with an eye towards original engineering. For my 56 this means I run a rebuilt generator instead of an alternator. For my GS this means I replaced my front seat cover with just such a kit I mentioned above. In both cases I run radial tires. The cars still look and function as originally engineered and designed, but they are no longer 100% original.

So, make your choice and feel free to post pictures and ask for any information you need. We like to help.

And welcome to this Forum and consider joining the Buick club of America. Not sure where you live but this year's National Meet is in Portland Oregon, and next years National Meet will be in Springfield Missouri.