1951 Pontiac Cheiftain Radiator

Guest Nikotine

Guest Nikotine

Greets from Arizona! I recently picked up a 1951 Pontiac Cheiftain Delux. The guy I bought it from said that the original radiator was actually worth roughly $400 bucks. On the radiator i think it has 51-R stamped on it. What are the radiators actually worth? Was he being optimistic on that price?

• 1 month later...
Guest Fat n Flat

The radiators installed in Chieftans were (honeycolme) design. They don,t have tubes. Instead they have flat copper passages connecting the upper and lower tanks. If these leak they can,t be sealed by repairing. They must be recored. The core itself costs around $ 1200.00 I had mine pressure tested and it leaked at both tanks. I found an aluminum replacement at www. wizard cooling. A two row, with 3/8 in. tubes. For an extra $ 100 I had them place a trans fluid cooler in in case anyone ever wants to update the drivetrain. Cost was $630.00 The assembly fit like a glove. Only had to drill the supprt bracket flanges in the proper location, they had the off about an inch. And they combined the heater hose port and drain port. Leaves me with a 1/4 in. supply for heater core.I let them know about these mistakes so hopefully they redesign. That took care of the leaking. Then I found the exhaust heat riser valve stuck shut, causing high temps at long periods of idleing and poor wide open throttle engine performance. I have the original radiator from my fifty if anyones interested in recoring it. The tanks are good and straight and the support brackets are in good shape also. Will let it go for shipping cost and scrap price. And if you need your dual diaphram fuel pump rebuilt check California Pontiac Restoration on line. Was looking for rebuild kit and found them. They offer a professionally rebuilt unit for $99.00. Thats only around $20.00 more than the kit costs. Looks like new and works great. I also found them to have the best price on the Dayton carb overhaul kit. Although, I was,nt completely impressed with it, my carb now works properly. Was just that some of the washer style gaskets were the wrong size and had to reuse mine.

Guest lovethe51's

Dear Mr.Niko I sold you the 51 pontiac hope things are going well with it but seen your post im sure at 1st it sounded far fetched but that radiator has been recored at bill s radiator on 25th and van buren it cost me a pretty penny,thats why I said if you ever took the flathead out and went with a 350 motor you could sell it and ask $500 for it and get it, mr coker that responded is a good pontiac man as he kinda knows me as I sold him a pontiac purse holder that he was looking for ,20 years looking . Also not to many almost 65 year old radiators gonna be floating around especially here in phoenix that are still gonna be dependable and ready for the heat so its almost a must that you will have to have it recored out here. Also keep me updated on the progress of that car I d love to see it still, iam also looking for another 51 so if you take or sell stuff off the car let me know, thanks Mat Cordova