American classic radials

Guest paulmac1968

Guest paulmac1968

Thinking of replacing my bias plys with American classic radials. Anyone have a review on them?

Thx

Paul Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Since no one has responded. I ran Cokers for many years, but currently have Diamond Backs on two cars, including my 55 bird. There is a bit of a difference in how the white whites look. But the modern tires perform much better than tires made from the old molds, IMHO. Depends on if it's a driver, or a "points" show car.

Guest paulmac1968

My car is probably somewhere between show and driver. Drive it about 1000 miles per year. But roads in pa r awful for bias plys. Lots of construction cuts and uneven pavement to drag u away from where u want the car to actually go!! Coker has radials now that look like bias plys. I'd really like to see a review though. Hate to drop a grand for tires and then be disappointed with a marginal improvement. For that money I want to be wowed.

Well, I know what you mean about bias ply tires, I've got a set on 32 ford. Coker firestone repops. The older Cokers I had were the 205/75-15 series www. They drove fine, just got old and hard. To my eye, they were close enough. I've looked at the new bias look Cokers, but I need them in black wall for the hot rod. I haven't looked for the 'bird sizes, as the tires are new.

Opinion on the Cokers vary, but of late seem to be good. The HAMB has a ton of comments, but follow their rules. They are specific.

All in all, I like the Diamond Backs better than the Cokers. The more modern carcasses and tread patterns seem better on the road, especially in the rain in the Seattle area. Likewise on the patches and grooves.

The other thing you might check is the alignment. Most mid 50's cars ran little caster, due to steering effort. Like, 1-2 degrees, compared to 3-4 on modern cars. It makes more difference than I thought. If your alignment isn't to max spec there, it could be part of the problem.