Mating a 1988 Mustang 5.0L CA emission engine & automatic trans to a 1964 Falcon Sprint.

Looking for wiring diagram help in this matter. We are using the engine harness from the Mustang and wanting to mate it to the Falcon's harness at the bulkhead (firewall)

Does anyone have previous experience with a similar conversion? I have done plenty of Mopars but this is my first attempt with the Fords.

We could really use a clear copy of all the wires and colors with tracer colors that pass through the firewall for both the 88 Mustang 5.0L and the 64 Falcon Sprint.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

It's definitely not because you're a Mopar guy. Fuel injection wiring can be black magic to guys more familiar with carburetors. Me? I'm the opposite--carburetors and points ignitions are mysteries but fuel injection makes perfect sens to me.

Anyway, what you need is called a Ford EVTM, or an Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, which is the wiring diagram book for Fords, and they're specific to the year and model you're working on. Sometimes they're available at the library or on the internet, but I would strongly recommend that you get one for the 1988 Mustang donor car and find one for your Falcon as well. I wrote a manual on putting a 5.0 fuel injected motor in a Ford Ranger pickup truck, and I used the factory EVTMs to figure out the wiring on each year of Ranger, so it's definitely not impossible. Although I did it more than 12 years ago, I recall that you will need 12V switched power, 12V crank power, power to the fuel pump relay, and a few other connections, but it is not difficult. I might also recommend "How to Understand, Service, and Modify Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control" by Charles O. Probst, as it will tell you how the system works and why each part needs a particular signal. Don't try to do it on the cheap, buy the books you need and these will get you 90% of the way there. My 1997 Ford Ranger Splash with a supercharged 5.0 liter Mustang Cobra motor started the first time I turned the key because I took the time to understand how the system worked. The Probst book is about $30 used on eBay and the EVTMs were $25 from the publisher. Make that investment and the job will be a lot easier. You might also be interested in my Ranger manual, which covers putting a Mustang 5.0 in a vehicle where it was never intended to live. You can find it at www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com. It's $25, but it might also be helpful with diagrams and explanations.

You might also check with the early Mustang guys, who have done this swap hundreds or thousands of times and there might be custom wiring harnesses already made for just this application.

Good luck!

It's definitely not because you're a Mopar guy. Fuel injection wiring can be black magic to guys more familiar with carburetors. Me? I'm the opposite--carburetors and points ignitions are mysteries but fuel injection makes perfect sens to me.

Anyway, what you need is called a Ford EVTM, or an Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, which is the wiring diagram book for Fords, and they're specific to the year and model you're working on. Sometimes they're available at the library or on the internet, but I would strongly recommend that you get one for the 1988 Mustang donor car and find one for your Falcon as well. I wrote a manual on putting a 5.0 fuel injected motor in a Ford Ranger pickup truck, and I used the factory EVTMs to figure out the wiring on each year of Ranger, so it's definitely not impossible. Although I did it more than 12 years ago, I recall that you will need 12V switched power, 12V crank power, power to the fuel pump relay, and a few other connections, but it is not difficult. I might also recommend "How to Understand, Service, and Modify Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control" by Charles O. Probst, as it will tell you how the system works and why each part needs a particular signal. Don't try to do it on the cheap, buy the books you need and these will get you 90% of the way there. My 1997 Ford Ranger Splash with a supercharged 5.0 liter Mustang Cobra motor started the first time I turned the key because I took the time to understand how the system worked. The Probst book is about $30 used on eBay and the EVTMs were $25 from the publisher. Make that investment and the job will be a lot easier. You might also be interested in my Ranger manual, which covers putting a Mustang 5.0 in a vehicle where it was never intended to live. You can find it at www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com. It's $25, but it might also be helpful with diagrams and explanations.

You might also check with the early Mustang guys, who have done this swap hundreds or thousands of times and there might be custom wiring harnesses already made for just this application.

Good luck!

Thank you Matt, I will surely take your advice.

If you take a look at the 3 cars below my name, You'll see 2 cars with major engine changes, which required them to be totally rewired under the hood.