My "new" 1985 Buick Electra Park Avenue

Glenn S

post-101197-143142554393_thumb.jpgOne month ago I received a call from my mother inquiring what I would like for my birthday. Well before I could say anything she asked me if I would like her "baby", a 1985 Buick Electra Park Avenue 2 door that she & my father had special ordered new. Taking delivery of their new car took approximately 3 months because of the rarity and to top it off, the car was lost in an Atlanta, GA rail yard for a couple of days as the RR "lost" the boxcar containing it ! After RR officials searched and found it, once again it was on the way. My mother took possession 30 yrs ago this month and was mainly the only one that drove it. As you can tell from the pics, the body has NO rust or dents. The V6 has 187K original miles and purrs like a kitten. The interior is flawless other than the worn floor mats of which I'm searching for now. After talking with my father, I found out the car hadn't been driven in a couple of years as my mother is 87 and deemed herself unsafe to drive any longer. A sad point as far as that goes but an overwhelming sense of joy since I got the car after they had it shipped up to me from GA to NJ.

I've already given it a tune up, new : plugs, wires, cap, rotor and have a new power antennae to install. The power door locks & gas door don't work but I think it's a relay problem which will be solved next week. It also has a fuel leak on the intake & return lines of which GM no longer manufactures so next week I'm having those custom made so I can finally drive it ! I don't think I've seen another like it !

post-101197-143142554393_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

Looks and sounds like a nice one. It is not surprising that you haven't seen one like it, with only 5852 built in 85 they were not common to see even new, to give you a comparison 131,011 4 doors were built. It's great it is staying in the family and especially with someone that appreciates it.

Looks and sounds like a nice one. It is not surprising that you haven't seen one like it, with only 5852 built in 85 they were not common to see even new, to give you a comparison 131,011 4 doors were built. It's great it is staying in the family and especially with someone that appreciates it.

Thank you so much for the reply. While searching for parts I learned that "PARK AVENUE" was a trim level & not a model for the '85 & 86 models...so, now I look for ELECTRA and if submodel is present...then PARK AVENUE comes in. Sure did change things as far as availability goes. I also own a '65 Skylark Convertible with 76 K original miles that I've had for 12 yrs. BUICK NUT....can you tell? LOL Any other information or parts lead that you have please share ! Have a great day !!

That is the first year for this smaller FWD Buick and they are nicely done. I am amazed that it is a two door as it's very rare to see those. Your Mom and Dad sound like great Buick people and I commend them on a stunning purchase and, on such excellent upkeep! Would love to see more pics of both your cars.

You said you need parts, but did not give an indication of what you need? While I don't know of any sources at the current time, it may help us to know what type of things you are looking for, just in case someone happens upon the parts somewhere along the way.

Also I hope you are a Buick Club of America Member. In 2016 the BCA National Meet will be just over the PA border from you, in Allentown. And it would be an excellent time to show off those cars, plus bring Mom and Dad to the meet where they can see how much others appreciate what they have done.