Carter bowl gasket

rageracing

Changed my bowl gasket twice and they all where wet from fuel. Set the float at 7/64 and still have it. Put a new needle and seat in and installed a new 5/16 fuel line in from pump to carb since old one had a slight kink in it. Checked both surfaces and they are nice and flat too. Is this normal for the BB1 carbs? Been battling this for a while now.

Changed my bowl gasket twice and they all where wet from fuel. Set the float at 7/64 and still have it. Put a new needle and seat in and installed a new 5/16 fuel line in from pump to carb since old one had a slight kink in it. Checked both surfaces and they are nice and flat too. Is this normal for the BB1 carbs? Been battling this for a while now.

See attachment.

Harry

post-31856-14314255367_thumb.jpg

post-31856-14314255367_thumb.jpg

This issue became an issue prior to ethanol becoming prevalent. Ethanol causes its share of problems, let us not blame it erroneously. Sometime in the mid to late 1970's the EPA changed the composition of the fuel resulting in much higher vapor pressures.

If you take a modern downdraft carburetor and remove the bowl cover, and fill the bowl maybe 2/3 full of modern fuel and watch.....you can actually watch the fuel climb the walls (sides) of the bowl and over.

Jon.

I know that I'm going to catch flack from this. But I just want to prove a point when people are blaming the fuel. And this car pulls a trailer and this engine was built in the late 70s. Nothing is new except plugs.

I'm running a 392 Hemi with a 871 blower with 2-600 carbs with no fuel problems at all with today's fuel. How in the world that a little carb with a no power engine give so much problems? These carbs are 15 years old that have never been open. And I run air in this thing. GO FIGURE.

post-78906-14314255523_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314255523_thumb.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

• 2 months later...