My new purchase

Guest fkaugusta

Guest fkaugusta

Hello all! After 25 years of restoring, judging, buying trading Model A and Model T Fords I have finally moved up to the classics! I am in the process of buying a 1930 Buick Model 64 Country Club Coupe. It's an original unrestored car with all rebuilt running gear. Can't wait to get it home! I'm wondering if someone can give me info as to where I can find any parts I might need. Also, I would like an opinion as to the best Buick History Reference Book that would have info concerning what these cars came with when new. Such as, what was chrome plated, what was nickel, and a guide to correct paint colors, etc.. I am also curious as to how rare my Model 64 is. This car has the double spare mounted on the rear which I'm told is/was a rare option. Any help will be appreciated and I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road! Thanks in advance. Frank Knapp Augusta, GA>

Guest fkaugusta

Thanks guys. I did join The Buick Club and hope to get more info on these forums. Don has answered one of my questions. Thanks! Since the mechanical work has been done, I'm not planning a frame off restoration. I do plan a total cosmetic redo including much needed paint, chrome and white wall tires. Looking at other classics like the one off Packards, Auburns, etc. they all have awesome paint schemes. The fenders are usually painted a different (usually darker) matching color. I do know all Model A's came with black fenders. Is that also true with this era Buicks? I don't want to stray too far away from original color combinations but would like to give it a little more classic look.I haven't figured out how to upload pics yet. I think the images are in the wrong format. I'll work on that! Thanks Frank

fkagusta,

You can go to the BCA judging manual on the buickclub.org web site (not sure how you got into the forum). Also a lot of photos in various galleries. You will find Buicks are not quite the level of the Packards, etc. but we like them. To be as original, yes the fenders were always darker After 1930, the color combinations grew in choice, but most cars were originally black. Hope this helps.

John

Guest fkaugusta

Thanks John, just the answer I was expecting. I have no problem with black fenders but from my research most 1930 64c Coupes were mostly painted a shade of turquoise which is not acceptable to me. Hopefully I can find another shade of green, perhaps a medium teal, and paint belt moldings in a darker green. I also like to keep my cars as original as possible. I got on the forum when I joined BCA. Thanks for the info. I'll check the judging manual as you suggested! Frank

Guest fkaugusta

I found the Judging Manuel very helpful as to what colors were available on each year. Now, can anyone tell me where I can get a color chart guide book showing the actual colors? The Judging Manuel gives the color names but I have no idea as to shades, etc. Thanks, Frank

Congratulations of the purchase. I saw that car on eBay and though it was a really good value. With regards to how rare the car is, I own one too, but I've never seen another one in person. Based on what I have seen on this forum and from other conversations, I know of about a half-dozen of these cars. I'm sure there are some squirreled away, but of the 5,370 built, it's a safe bet very few remain. Your's is the only one I've seen of with the rear spares.

The best source for parts for me has been

Bob's Automobilia

3352 South El Pomar

Templeton, CA 93465

805-434-2963

http://www.bobsautomobilia.com

Cheers,

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

Guest fkaugusta

Thanks Buick64.......Actually, before buying the car I saw a similar post from 2008 by Ken. He was conversing with a guy in Germany who had just bought a 64C. Everything he said was almost word for word as your post! So far my research has been very fruitful. Since I have lots of experience restoring Model As I can handle the paint work, interior, etc. As I said the car has a rebuilt engine and drive train so hopefully that won't be a problem. What scares me most is the outside brightwork. Appears to be lots of chrome! I tried to post a picture here but it would not upload. Not sure what the problem is. I'd love to see a picture of your car and send you one of mine for your opinion. If you will, send a picture to my email. fkaugusta@aol.com

Also, I'm curious about you having seen the car on ebay and if it sold, etc. This car came from Ohio.. I had no idea it had been advertised before. I found it by accident when I answered an ad in Hemmings for another car. Thanks again, Frank

Guest fkaugusta

Buck64 you are correct! WOW, it appears the buyer did a lot of cosmetic work since April from the pictures he sent me!The car looks totally different cosmetically! He also said he has driven the car on several tours, rebuilt the generator and rewired all lights. All of the rust is gone, probably sanded and painted over and he added a pair of Trippe Lights. From the ebay ad it appears the engine rebuild, etc. are correct and impressive. I was prepared to do the rechrome, repaint and replace tires and interior anyway so that's not a problem. Since I didn't pay much more than he did I think I'll enjoy completing the restoration on a very stylist and rare Buick and not get hurt so bad! Your profile shows, SC. Hopefully you are in South Carolina just in case I need help along the way! :rolleyes: Thanks for the ebay link! very helpful.

Guest fkaugusta

Thanks Eric, thankfully this car looks much better now but still far fro cosmetic restoration. These pictures will be fun down the road. It's going to be quite a project I'm sure! Thanks again.

Guest fkaugusta

Yep John, its a Buck! Wish I knew how to upload a picture of how it looks now but upload feature always says "failed". Not sure how to do that. Anyway, thanks

Hey FRANK,

As to posting pictures, I had trouble too after a new camera purchase and yours are failing because of the size (digitally not physically).

What worked for me was to:

1- from my picture file, e-mail a picture to myself

2- open the e-mail and bring the cursor over the picture you see displayed (not the attachment)

3-right click on it and click the 'SAVE AS' feature. A screen will pop up and you will see in the type bar the identification information you have typed for your picture name or the camera picture number.

4- What I did was leave that info and move to the end of that info and add this: - copy

5- Before you hit enter be sure and bring up the file or location where the original picture is stored on your computer.

Somehow this changes (reduces) the file size so you can post pictures successfully here using the new copy picture without loosing any detail in the photo (that I notice).

Once I was sure the 'copy' picture was saved and in the right location I just deleted the e-mail to myself and was good to go.

There are other 'picture size reducing postings' listed too but this one was suggested to me and seems to work.

Good luck as we all like to see pictures of everyone's cars and would love to see yours.

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Guest fkaugusta

Thanks Doug! I'll give that a try. I just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and I'm just not that familiar with it as yet. If I can't figure it out using your method I'll get my "computer geek" over here to help! I'm sure I'll be using this forum a lot. All of you guys have been very helpful.......much appreciated! Frank

Yes, if you can resize your camera's picture files down to about 800w x 600h, that is plenty good enough to see here , and they upload easily. That is taking a 3 meg+++ file down to about 150k. Nice car!

Guest fkaugusta
post-101126-143142555849_thumb.jpgFinally got the images resized. Thanks for the upload tips! Looks much better tha the ebay pics. Can't wait to get it home and start stropping paint! Frank

post-101126-143142555853_thumb.jpg

post-101126-143142555849_thumb.jpg

post-101126-143142555853_thumb.jpg

Edited by fkaugusta (see edit history)

Guest fkaugusta

I finally got the images reduced and changed to jpeg and they upload in my "quick reply" window. For some reason, I see the reply with pictures on my computer but the reply does not post here. Any ideas?

Edited by fkaugusta (see edit history)

Guest fkaugusta

Now I see what happened! There are two pages! Forum posts must be limited as to how many per page, then you must go to page 2! At least the pictures uploaded. :)

Guest fkaugusta

Awesome Pics! Great for original restoration purposes!(Assuming it's original) Thanks for the post! Doesn't appear to have been in a barn too long! Really nice car!

Guest fkaugusta

Sorry John but I don't understand your question. Of the many early Fords I've restored, I always take them down to bare metal and start over. There's no telling what lies beneath on this car and the only way to know for sure is to remove all of the possible layers of paint,primer,rust,etc. If your question concerns how to remove the paint i.e. stripping vs blasting let me know. If not, what would you do with this car? Thanks for the post! Frank

Guest fkaugusta

Original ebay ad description says it looks to have been repainted once before long storage. No doubt my seller added some matching paint probably to cover rust making the car look better for resale. Check out original ebay pics on page one or the original ebay ad link. Thanks

FK - yes, the forum puts 25 posts on a "page", then it generates another page. It may have to do with download time - it downloads 25 "posts", then you can read through them all before clicking to the next page to start another download...