Can you identify this body?

Pete Phillips

Looks to me like a 1930 Dodge DC8. I cannot tell if it used to be a phaeton. Looks to be the rear half portion of the phaeton attached behind the door. They made 234 of them. The photos that I posted are both roadsters. Too bad someone hacked away the dashboard like that, but looks fixable.

post-37352-143142551893_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142551919_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142551946_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Hi Pete,

I am 99% sure the cowls and doors are DD/DC dodge, as Keiser the rear section appears to be from a phaeton.

Note the rear tub section on the green car above came from another period car, so it may not be exact.

Cheers

Stewart

Hi Pete,

I am 99% sure the cowls and doors are DD/DC dodge, as Keiser the rear section appears to be from a phaeton.

Note the rear tub section on the green car above came from another period car, so it may not be exact.

Cheers

Stewart

If you look at the dashboard, you will see that the green car is a DC8. The extra reveal is very hard to see on the belt molding because of the color. The dashboard tells the story.

Many thanks, Keiser, Stewart, and epicoat. You guys are amazing. It belongs to a friend of mine; not sure if he intends to sell or try to find other parts to put it together, which seems like a daunting task, since this is all he has. It was saved from a street-rodder, who got and used most of the other body parts.

Pete Phillips

As Stooy said the body on the green car pictured is not original to the car. It came off a car that was abandoned during the second world war.

The chassis was similar to my car but it had a non original 4 cylinder engine mounted on a crude angle iron frame.

The rear guards were entirely different. The front section and guards were either missing or rusted away.

The rear section appears to have been built by T.J.Richards in Adelaide as it had a wooden frame, unlike the American and Canadian cars, and appears to have been about 4 inches longer however the hood rest holes were further apart than the Dodge Australian body and the impression moulded into the rear section, despite lining up to the original was slightly different. The depth of this replacement body is unknown as the bottom section was completely rusted away and had to be remade.

Richards made bodies for many makes of car over this period however I am almost certain that this rear section was from a Chrysler product.

The body you have is almost certainly a Dodge DC8. The dash cut out section matches my car and I am fairly sure the DD6 had different instruments.

Jim