Electric 6 Volt Fan '52 Special

Stan W.

I would like to add a 6 volt electric fan in front of the radiator on my '52 Special just to handle the temporary summer parades. I know how to attach the fan but I'm not sure what I need for the electric hookup. Do I need some type of relay or inline fuse or can I just go to the battery and ground with a toggle switch? What gauge wire should I use? Thanks

Since a fan is a high current device you will need a relay. Battery to relay to fan with thick wire. size is determined by the current draw of fan. I would think 8 or 10gauge. Then run a relay control line to your switch. This can be much smaller gauge since there is little current. Maybe 14 or 16 gauge.

I hope you are running an alternator since a generator will not provide the power you need near idle.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Remember, an electric motor will spin either direction. The motor must spin the blade so as to direct air through the radiator and not away from the radiator. If it turns the wrong way your car will over heat for sure. If it turns the wrong way all that you must do is switch the wires and it will turn the correct direction. I have seen this problem on a number of occasions and it is easily solved. Patrick W. Brooks