Brakes

Guest Ralmon

Guest Ralmon

For the tech guys, will the brake calipers from the 1988 Dodge daytona work on the TC? Parts houses have calipers for both, but Dodge daytona ones are $30.00 cheaper each. Thanks for any help, Rick.

For the tech guys, will the brake calipers from the 1988 Dodge daytona work on the TC? Parts houses have calipers for both, but Dodge daytona ones are $30.00 cheaper each. Thanks for any help, Rick.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, advice I got years ago and it was good advice.

The TC has a Tevews ABS system the Daytona doesn't and when you can't see the difference I can understand the temptation to save $30 bucks each. But with rockauto.com closing out Wagner reman calipers for less than $11 each and selling Cardonie remans for $16 each; I have to say don't take the chance, go with the part that goes with the car.

Guest Ralmon

Thanks for the info, Digger. I just thought these were the same as I was informed many Daytona parts would work with the TC. I am new to the TC and am learning as I go along. I will try to get the calipers from Rock Auto, if not I'll get the ones just for the TC. I have put a lot of money in this car, and I guess there is no inexpensive ways of obtaining parts or anything else for it.

Thanks for the info, Digger. I just thought these were the same as I was informed many Daytona parts would work with the TC. I am new to the TC and am learning as I go along. I will try to get the calipers from Rock Auto, if not I'll get the ones just for the TC. I have put a lot of money in this car, and I guess there is no inexpensive ways of obtaining parts or anything else for it.

Inexpensive parts are a challenge, they are available and sometimes require a great deal of research. It took me hours of research to come up with the lowest cost accululator part number for the brake system. Plenty of vehicles used this same part and every maker that uses this part gives it their own part number and price. Our brake pump is readily available used if you know which model Jaguar to pull it from, more exciting is the possibility that except for the two wire harness plug it can be bought brand new for half the price of the listed available part, getting the part number for this mysterious unit is the next big challenge. Our top pull down motor is a modified GM trunk pull down and $5 at the U-Pull yard if you know which car to pull it from. Steering colum, same story. As you work through the little issues of maintaining a vintage vehicle you will eventually find something that hasn't been found yet, when you do, please post it for the rest of us.

Brake calipers used on the 88 Daytona are precisely the same as those used on the TC both front and the only ones similar on the rear.

Guest Ralmon
Brake calipers used on the 88 Daytona are precisely the same as those used on the TC both front and the only ones similar on the rear.

Thank you for that information, Mr. Hemi. Could you tell me what adjustment needs to made with an allen wrench on those rear calipers? Thanks again, Rick.

Thank you for that information, Mr. Hemi. Could you tell me what adjustment needs to made with an allen wrench on those rear calipers? Thanks again, Rick.

OK. The rear brakes on the TC are adjusted for the parking brake lever travel mainly.

The process goes like this;

Make sure that the parking brake is fully released and the cable adjustment nut is loosened sufficiently to allow the levers on both rear calipers to be at the fully released position.

Make sure that the levers are free to move their full movement, whatever that might be at the time. (If they are rusted, free them up with penetrating fluid)

Then, removing the plug on either caliper, adjust the (think it is 5mm) adjusting screw inside the caliper, until there is considerable drag on the brake rotor from the pads.

Then loosen the adjustment just enough to have a small (SMALL) amount of drag on the rotor. Repeat that procedure on the other rear caliper.

Now you can readjust the cable so that the parking brake lever inside the car applies the rear brakes firmly at about the half (1/2) way down position.

Be sure to check the brake drag frequently while you are adjusting the cable to make sure there is not excessive drag on the brakes.

Hopefully you are working on a lift so you can frequently spin the wheels and check the drag.

The TCs were the last Chrysler made cars to use this silly system. Domestic 89 cars already had the type with separate brake shoes applying inside the 'hat' of the rotor. A much better system.

• 1 month later...
I will try to get the calipers from Rock Auto.

Hi Ralmon, Did you end up getting brakes from Rock Auto? I am replacing front brakes and see many local and online parts stores claim to have TC parts. Rock Auto has quite a price range depending on manufacturer (Centric, Raybestos, Cardone, Retech). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi Ralmon, Did you end up getting brakes from Rock Auto? I am replacing front brakes and see many local and online parts stores claim to have TC parts. Rock Auto has quite a price range depending on manufacturer (Centric, Raybestos, Cardone, Retech). Any suggestions? Thanks.

When a guy buys a brake job he doesn't want to spend any more than he has to to get the job done, when you sell a guy a brake job you don't want him comming back in a couple of weeks complaining about a squeak. When it comes to quality and price my personal preference for pads is Raybestos.

For rotors I recommend Bendix and the best bang for the buck on those, is any name that they might be packaged under as a part store private label or white box with no name.

If you're looking for reman front calipers, they are all remanufactured.

If you're looking for rear remans, again they are all remanufactured, but here the parts that come in the box with the part make paying the extra worth the extra couple of bucks. Chrysler has discontinued the crush washer part number, they still have thousands of these things stocked in warehouse and because the part number is discontinued the dealers can't order them. Because the part number no longer exists you can't go to the parts store and cross reference to what you need, this size does not come in the multi size off the shelf bubble pack assortment and you might have to carry the old one to several parts stores before you find someone that stocks this size. So for rear reman calipers, get the ones for the TC and the name on the box isn't nearly as important as the new brake washers inside. Get the one with the brake line washers included.

Guest Ralmon

Yes, I replaced the rear calipers. I have found that parts geek.com has the best prices and selection for TC parts. For the really hard to find stuff, Larry at TCParts.com in Glendale, Arizona usually has them. I used the Cardone calipers, seem to be as good as any of them. Hope this helps.