Fluid torque drive rebuild kit?

Guest Vellu

Guest Vellu

Hi from Finland!

I have '53 New Yorker with fluid torque drive transmission. Problem is that it is leaking pretty bad. I have tried to find rebuild kit for that transmission, but I haven't found any. I know that there's adapters to get newer tranny to fit my 331, but I would really like to keep it original. Ok, if I could mate th350 to my 331, I would propably do the change. But as far as I have searched, that can be done only with ´54 and newer 331 engines.

So, any hints to find that rebuild kit?

Thanks!

Fluid Torque Drive is an unusual transmission system. The transmission itself is like a conventional 4 speed manual transmission, with a little hydraulic pump and piston to shift the gears. The torque converter is completely separate from the transmission and has its own oil supply.

Early Fluid Torque Drive had an oil pan under the torque converter, later models used the engine oil and had internal passages between the engine and torque converter.

So, there is no rebuild kit in the usual meaning of the words. You will need to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. If it is from the torque converter, you need to buy a rebuilt torque converter. But if it is from somewhere else, you may only need a new gasket.

You should start by going under the car and cleaning off the old oil and grease with a steam cleaner or pressure washer. Then you will be able to see more clearly, exactly where the leak is coming from.

If you need to take the torque converter off you should first buy a Chrysler repair manual. It is a complicated mechanism, but can be serviced by a good mechanic if he has the manual.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Your leakage is from the torque converter impeller hub seal, turbine shaft seal, oil sump o-rings and or the oil cooler lines..

No kits are or were made.

Chrysler sold individual seals to repair the leaks. After market modern seals should be available after comparing style and size between old and new.

All the V-8 Hemi cars with fluid torque drive did not have engine and torque converter oil combined... only the six cylinder cars did.

You will need someome who is qualified to do the repairs.

Get a factory 1951-2 chrysler shop manual. It shows it all.

• 3 months later...

I took the transmission out from the car. Next problem is that I can't find any spare parts for tranny.

Clutch disk assembly and clutch release bearing are the ones I'm looking for.

Any ideas where to buy them?

Thanks!