Chandler 1927 brakes

Guest Fletchafloat

Guest Fletchafloat

Hello All. I need to adjust the brakes on a Chandler for a friend. I know nought about them. There is some confusion as to whether the brake drums are actually around the right way. Could anyone please provide me with a relevant picture from a manual? Failing that, I may be able to take a photo and send to someone who knows? Excuse my ignorance.

Cheers,

Fletchafloat

in Australia

• 1 month later...

Pretty obscure make, I don't have a book on them but if you use common sense you might just be able to get a passable job. First make sure all movable parts are free and without too much clearance. The linings need to be free of the drums when the pedal is released regardless if they are internal or external, so all the springs need to do their job. next adjust the shoes/bands for minimum clearance to the drum without excessive drag. this should get you at least a stop. Post a few pictures to see what you are working on.

Guest Fletchafloat
Pretty obscure make, I don't have a book on them but if you use common sense you might just be able to get a passable job. First make sure all movable parts are free and without too much clearance. The linings need to be free of the drums when the pedal is released regardless if they are internal or external, so all the springs need to do their job. next adjust the shoes/bands for minimum clearance to the drum without excessive drag. this should get you at least a stop. Post a few pictures to see what you are working on.

Thanks JFranklin. I found a couple of photos on the forum that convinced me that the hubs were around the right way - someone had previously swaped left for right hubs but that was incorrect. Then, as you suggest, I used common sense and worked it out. Shoes are external and previously only one shoe on each was adjusted. I have fixed that and now the brakes are fine.

You say this is a pretty obscure make? My friend, the owner (83 y. o. lady) is about to sell up a lot of collectible stuff, including a number of cars, one being this one. It is in Western Australia, but your club may wish to be aware of this vehicle coming on the market. It will be sold by auction on September. Is it worth posting details and some photos?

Fletchafloat