And Buick Activity in Palm Springs this week?

Fr. Buick

I will be in Palm Springs this week, Monday through Friday morning, with my '54 to the car a good trial run before the drive to Portland.

Any automotive activities going on, or Buick people up for a visit?

I guess this could be classed as an automotive activity. ;) I have a friend in St. Louis who is considering buying a 55 2 dr Special in or around Joshua Tree, not that far from PS, and needs it looked over. It is a car he owned years ago and it has been "restored" since then. It has lot of sentimental value to him. Let me know if you'd like to help.

Otherwise, to anyone out that way, a visit from Father Buick is truly like a blessing. He has visited me and Rita a 2-3 times and we always have a very pleasant and enjoyable visit.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I got this from my Buick Buddy John...

We left Palm Springs about a week ago. Palm Springs has lots of car stuff going on in the winter, but not much in the summer because of the heat. The season is now pretty much over. The umbrella car club in the area is called Palm Springs cruising Association. We joined this club, they have several activities a month in the winter. Google it and they will have a list of any activities in the area that might be happening in the summer. No local Buick club in the desert, the closest is Riverside. We have not participated in any activities with them, seems like too far to drive the old car.

Hi Father Buick! I am Mr. Earl's friend in St. Louis, who is interested in a '55 Special 46R currently located in Joshua Tree. I saw from your profile that you are in Orange, CA, which is a funny coincidence, since the Buick Special we are talking about was my first car that I bought at age 15 in 1985, right in Orange, CA, where it spent most of it's life until I had to sell it to the current owner, who is now living in Joshua Tree.

I am having the car appraised and inspected by a company, but I would very much appreciate your opinion if it would be possible for you to take a look while you are in the area.

My email is smythm@sbcglobal.net, and my cel is 314-323-0922 if you want more details on the car's history and current condition.

much appreciated, either way,

Matt

HiI am having the car appraised and inspected by a company, but I would very much appreciate your opinion if it would be possible for you to take a look while you are in the area.

Haveing the car appraised and inspected is a good thing but ---- what is your sentimental value worth ? That is a hard one to answer . There will never be another car like this one . Perhaps you should pick a top dollar price and hope that the seller will take that or less . The Old Car Price Guide will give you a clue as to what the car is worth in hard dollars - the rest is up to you . Good Luck and I hope it will be parked in your garage soon !

Thanks Mr. Riviera...you are right, there will never be another car like this one, for me. Turns out the car hasn't been running for a while, so it's hard to find a dollar value to go from. I went ahead and cancelled the appraisal since it's not running. Will make a reasonable offer given the non-running condition, and offer more if they can get it running and go from there.

And thanks Father Buick for trying to get out there and take a look for me!

Will post a follow-up when the negotiations are over with...

• 2 weeks later...
Great looking car Matt.......glad you could get her back.

Interesting that the white on the lower section doesn't continue to the rear quarter.......is that how it was when you first owned it?

When I owned it in the 80s-90s it was two-tone Victoria Blue and Temple Grey, all black interior. That was its second paint job. The current black and white paint and interior were done by the gentleman some time after I sold it to him in '97.

I believe the original color was mint green, monotone.

I will probably repaint either the stock color, or the blue/blue that I knew her with back in the day.

I located her in 2009 with the help of a PI in CA, but the owner wasn't ready to sell then. Glad he finally changed his mind!

Waiting for enclosed carrier transport (Intercity Lines) to pick her up this week...shipping to my new friend Mike Middleton (buick5563) at Midtown Restorations in Austin TX for her restoration...

Good choice...........maybe we should be calling Mike "Mr 55".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

OK..we are getting very close. Mike has worked hard to bring all the mechanicals back to life: Fully rebuilt engine and accessories, fuel system, brakes, radiator (x3), gauges and radio, and much more and we are arranging transport to St. Louis. Very excited to see her again after all these years!