30 Pontiac 6 carb

The carb on my friends 30 Pontiac 6 is in pretty bad shape. I think it is beyond a rebuild. Does anyone know a source for a replacement? I am trying to help him as he does not have a computer. Thanks, Bob Smits

There is a fellow that advertises these carbs on ebay. He doesn;t have one there now but his last one was listed around $300.00 and did not sell. I find it hard to believe that you cannot rebuild the one you have. I have some bits and pieces. I searched for over 40 years and found nothing and in the last 10 years I have found one (rebuilt??), one used (abused) and a box of parts that might be one. I put a modern needle and seat in mine in 1961 and made a brass float three or four years ago to replace the cork one otherwise mine has been on use since 1930 and for 500,000 miles with no trouble.

Can you be a little more specific with what is wrong with the one your friend has.

The guy you are thinking of is Rand Broadstreet, I have bought several carbs from him (including one for my 1930 Pontiac) and found him honest and reliable, if a little expensive.

http://www.northfieldltd.com/pb/wp_9b2715e2/wp_9b2715e2.html

I'm with Reid though, unless the pot metal is breaking up there really isn't anything on them that can't be fixed. 1930 Pontiac carbs are very hard to find.

Still in Missouri but I talked to Ollin today and the plot thickens. He purchased the car several years ago and the engine was out of the car and in pieces along with several Pontiac blocks and assorted accessories. He is not certain that the carb or fuel pump are correct for the engine. There were several lying around and he took all of them. The pot metal on the one he is using is intact but "slightly warped" and leaking. Also the fuel pump develops so much pressure that he he had to put a pressure reducer on it. Can someone give me the correct carb and fuel pump numbers for the engine. I have also asked Ollin to have a friend take a photo of the carb and fuel pump and email or text them to me Are rebuild kits available? Thanks, Bob Smits

According to my books Series 6-28 used an A2S Marvel 1" carb, Series 6-29 used an A3S 1 1/4" carb and Series 6-30B used an AA3S 1 1/4" marvel carb.

Generally speaking any 1 1/4" throat carb will work from 29, 30 or 31 Pontiac or 29-32 GMC. You can also use a 1932 Pontiac carb but it is reversed on the manifold so would require some linkage work. These will all work but pieces are not interchangeable between them.

I can't believe that a manual pump would give too much pressure. I think your needle and seat or float are at fault.

I have the specifications and can probably advise on "farmer fixes" but "CARBKING" is the fellow with all the proper information. Perhaps he will drop in here amongst the Pontiacs sometime.

The warped piece is likely to be the fuel bowl lid, a carefully cut and shaped cork or neoprene gasket can seal this. The 29 model carb had an idle jet and a high speed jet, the 30 model also has an intermediate jet. A 29 model would work just fine as Tinindian stated.

Thanks again for all the information. Ollin states there are no identification marks on the carb and the only identification on the fuel pump is AC. He is going to have his son in law take photos and send to me and I will post them. Bob Smits

It looks like the right carb. So what does the needle and seat and float look like. I bought a piece of cork on ebay for a couple of dollars that was big enough o make a float. The gaskets can be cut out of thin gasket paper. The needle and seat can be honed to seal properly. The pump should be rebuilt using a modern diaphragm because of the ethanol in our current gasoline. I think you are better off fixing what you have than buying something else and having to fix it. The guy that aussiecowboy mentioned is the fellow that I bought a carb from. At the time he had more in stock.