Oil pan Removal Part 3

Guest James Cook

Guest James Cook

Looks like the reason my 41 Zephyr was leaking so much oil out of the rear main is that the upper half of the seal is missing. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement seal?

If my memory serves, it's a 5/16" square cork "rope". I went to a local rubber and gasket company and got the same size rope in a Teflon impregnated synthetic fiber. Got the brand new cork gasket that came with the oil pan gasket laying in the shop somewhere if that's all you need. BTW, you might replace the front oil pan gasket while your at it.

Guest James Cook

It is the metal one that the slinger sits in. I will check with Earle Brown. Can it be installed with the crank in the engine?

Never tried doing this but it might be worth a try considering all the work necessary to remove engine and crankshaft. The crankshaft will only drop a little but it might be enough to allow a little more clearance. Remove the oil pump (better access), place the upper seal over the slinger on the crankshaft and rotate it around and up into the groove(in the block) for the seal and then carefully tap it up into place. When you talk to Earle ask him what he thinks about this.

Guest James Cook

I have tried Earl Brown several times to check on parts and I keep getting voice mail and no returned call. Is he still in business? Is there anyone else who would have a rear main seal and oil pan gasket set.

Thanks

Earle is probably on vacation? He usually returns your calls. Boos Herrel or Alan Whelihan might be able to supply the seal. Boos Herrel no. is 215-965-8296 and Alan's is 240-367-7530. Forgot to add in my previous post that the number 2 and number 3 main bearing caps would need to be loosened so as to allow the crank to drop a little. the rear main cap would need to be removed.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)