1927 Chrysler 70 diff info

Hi, I have a chrysler G70 1926 which is missing the complete Differential carrier, I have the axle housing and shafts. It measures 10inches from the centre of the top bolt to the centre of the bottom bolt. I have been offered several complete diffs, but can anyone tell me if all the 6 cyl cars used the same axles.Thanks

Viv Westbury

Hi, thanks for your input, I know the parts book list several part numbers, I dont know if this is just because the ratio's are different or the housings varied? I have a 29? axle with big internal expanding brakes and a later plymouth axle but the housings are both different sizes.

Thanks

Viv

Guest art s

Look on the axle shaft itself. Some of the Chrysler shafts will be stamped with a car series number. I thought I was buying two axles from a fellow in NY who said he had two 75 series axles. A 75 series axles are the same as a 72 which is what we have. When they got here they were clearly stamped 77 which is quite different. I suspect he just wanted them out of his garage since he sold the car, I sent them back but had to pay shipping both ways from the West coast... Try to contact someone with a Hollander Interchange Manual and see what it says will interchange. On setting up a carrier and axle housing make sure you have a good center block and maybe some extra axle shims. Our axle bearings are tapered and the side to side movement on both axles combined including the block is .004" to .006". If too little clearance they will overload when warm, and with too much clearance they will never have the right weight transfer and will probably fail. I used a dial indicator, which worked pretty well. Good luck on your project.

Hi Art s, Thanks for your input, I will check my shafts. I have been checking my 3 axles here today, the G70 axle housing measures 10inches from the centre of the top bolt to the centre of the bottom bolt on the diff cover. I have another later axle that measures 9.5inches, but when you look at the housing near the brake back plate there is a big difference in the diameter where the half shaft goes through. Chryslers of this era vary a lot.

Viv

Checked my shaft, sadly NO numbers, maybe Chrysler only marked them in later years, your model 72/75 were built a couple of years after the G70, but the advice is welcome

Edited by viv w
update (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...