How to set timing 1930 pontiac six

Setting the timing is very simple.

Remove the spark plug from # 1 cylinder. Crank the engine with your thumb over the hole. Pressure on the thumb indicates that you are coming up on the compression stroke. Remove the inspection plate on the front left side of the flywheel housing. Turn the engine over slowly until the pointer is at IGN 1 and 6.

Remove the distributor cap. The rotor should be point at the #1 cylinder wire and the points should be just opening. Obviously you would have the wires in their proper order. 1,5,6,3,2,4 counterclockwise. At this point the engine will run but could be fine tuned by rotating the distributor slightly in either direction.

Of course if I had been assembling the engine the #1 piston would have been at top dead center before I installed the heads. I would also have painted the marks on the flywheel with white or yellow paint while the engine was apart. I would have installed the distributor so that the grease cup was at the back (pointing to #4 cylinder) and of course the rotor would have been pointing to the#1 wire and the point gap would already have been set at .022".

Tinindian is exactly correct, use a test light to judge the opening of the points, don't try to judge it by eye.

You can also go old school and time using a vacuum gauge, set for maximum vacuum and retard by about 1"Hg. I do this as a quick option and it works quite well.

• 1 month later...

Hey you were looking for info on a 1930 Pontiac 6-30 six, 6 cyl and thought you could use this, I have wiring books and about everything else auto related back to 1900, US and some foreign.....

I also looked it up in my National Auto Service book... it breaks if down by serial # for 1930 having 2 options. Let me know your serial # I can find it, scan it, clean it up and send to you.

Most all of these old books are yellowed and have to be scanned a certain way and photo shopped, to clean it up, as I have done with the attachment. They are not this clean and readable. Print a few of them keep one in your file cabinet and one in the car.

I am putting a website together AutoInfo.Info that these will some day be on, but have to many of my own cars to be done right now to have extra time...

Good Luck

Todd Abrahampost-97962-143142643341_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Not hard to find.  NAPA and three other auto suppliers in my city all have all the tune up pieces in stock except for specific plug wires.  Nothing wrong with a universal cut to length set.  All split-head Pontiac engines 1926-1932 Series 6-27, Series 6-28, Series 6-29. Series 6-29A, Series 6-30B, Series 401 and Series 402  use the same ignition tune up parts as Chevrolet 29-34 except for advance springs and drive gear.  Your car is a Series 6-30B not a 600B