I bought an old Pontiac today….

Guest 1950Chieftain

Guest 1950Chieftain

….and drove it 125 miles home with no problems. It's a '50 Chieftain Deluxe and it's very clean and original and it runs good too. Here's some pics….

post-100978-143142534481_thumb.jpg

post-100978-143142534485_thumb.jpg

post-100978-143142534487_thumb.jpg

post-100978-14314253449_thumb.jpg

post-100978-143142534492_thumb.jpg

post-100978-143142534494_thumb.jpg

Guest 1950Chieftain

Thanks for the kind words. I was wondering if someone could tell me where I can get some of those black rubber bumper things that the doors and trunk rest up against when they're closed. Is there a company that makes them? If so please let me know because I need some. Thanks again….

Guest 1950Chieftain
You might try Steele Rubber Products.

http://www.steelerubber.com/bumpers

Bill

I ordered some from Steele. The only thing I didn't like is they charged me $11.02 for shipping for some little pieces of rubber that probably only weigh a couple of ounces. Thanks for the info, Bill….

Guest 1950Chieftain
What are your intentions. Are you going to restore it?

Is that a joke? It's already been restored. Did you look at the photos? :confused::confused::confused:

Is that a joke? It's already been restored. Did you look at the photos? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm sorry, it's no joke. A restored car means restored to new original condition mechanically and cosmetically. I did look at the pictures and this is what they told me. Picture # 1, the front of the car's headlamps have aftermarket customizers eyebrows and the front fenders have aftermarket mud flaps. Picture #2, incorrect tail pipe tip. Picture #3, Need a better picture to see if your door panels are correct as they should look like this as well as your seat material-see the link;

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture3/2009_1124fotos0015.jpg

Your floors have carpeting in the front...Only Catalina Super Deluxe and Convertible models get this. You should have rubber mats in the front and carpeting in the rear seat area. There is over spray on the dash near the left "A" pillar. All your chrome 100%?

Picture #5, Pontiac engines are painted dark green. Battery cables are black and period correct hose clamps are missing...see the link;

http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/191131-1000-0.jpg?rev=3

Picture # 6, Pontiac did not use carpeting in the trunk area, Am I seeing rust in the tire well?

I am looking at a very nice car that is worthy of a restoration.

Guest 1950Chieftain
I'm sorry, it's no joke. A restored car means restored to new original condition mechanically and cosmetically. I did look at the pictures and this is what they told me. Picture # 1, the front of the car's headlamps have aftermarket customizers eyebrows and the front fenders have aftermarket mud flaps. Picture #2, incorrect tail pipe tip. Picture #3, Need a better picture to see if your door panels are correct as they should look like this as well as your seat material-see the link;

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture3/2009_1124fotos0015.jpg

Your floors have carpeting in the front...Only Catalina Super Deluxe and Convertible models get this. You should have rubber mats in the front and carpeting in the rear seat area. There is over spray on the dash near the left "A" pillar. All your chrome 100%?

Picture #5, Pontiac engines are painted dark green. Battery cables are black and period correct hose clamps are missing...see the link;

http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/191131-1000-0.jpg?rev=3

Picture # 6, Pontiac did not use carpeting in the trunk area, Am I seeing rust in the tire well?

I am looking at a very nice car that is worthy of a restoration.

Can't you find anything better to do than find things wrong with my car? You're obviously one of those "the glass is half empty" pessimists who is always looking for something to complain about. How old are you-90? You must be a lot of fun to be around if all you do is complain about everything. Several other people had only positive comments about the car but you can only find fault with it. You're obviously a senile, bitter, confused old jerk with one foot in the grave who is pissed off at the whole world. Grow up, old man, and get a life. Didn't those pathetic losers that you call your parents ever tell you: "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all?" Obviously not. I'm out of here. You won't see me back at this site again. I hope you're proud of yourself, Grandpa….

Can't you find anything better to do than find things wrong with my car? You're obviously one of those "the glass is half empty" pessimists who is always looking for something to complain about. How old are you-90? You must be a lot of fun to be around if all you do is complain about everything. Several other people had only positive comments about the car but you can only find fault with it. You're obviously a senile, bitter, confused old jerk with one foot in the grave who is pissed off at the whole world. Grow up, old man, and get a life. Didn't those pathetic losers that you call your parents ever tell you: "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all?" Obviously not. I'm out of here. You won't see me back at this site again. I hope you're proud of yourself, Grandpa….

Listen pal, I said you had a nice car, but wondered what you were going to do with it. Your the one with the rub that I didn't see the pictures and seemed to insinuate that I was blind. Your the one who pressed to go further. The truth is.. if you think your car is restored than you are the blind one who can't take reality. Go cry and insult somewhere else.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest kaycee

I agree with your response! Too many "perfect, has to be 100 point car types" around.

You have a GREAT LOOKING CAR! Please don't leave our forums because of one know it all that must own a Dusenberg with deep pockets! If you thlnk or find out that your car needs something just do it and don't worry about the self called experts!!!!

kaycee

Cars don't have to be concours to enjoy them. You have a beautiful car, drive it and enjoy it.

I agree, I just wondered what he was going to do with it.

well i must say that i find your response to mr. helfen was very wrong. mr. helfen was completely correct in asking what your plans were for the 1950 pontiac, you do have a very nice driver quality pontiac, that has had things done or added to make the car incorrect, now if you can't stand educated, constructive questions about your car, i'm sorry, but this forum is one of the best collective of old car experts and novices, i read every one of helfen's statements #1 thru #6, and he is correct. the aaca is about cars and other vehicles being kept or restored back to what it was the day it rolled off the assembly line, now ask yourself, "does my car look just like the way it was when pontiac built it in 1950 ?", the answer is no, but as helfen said, your car is worthy to have that restoration done, that is a very positive judgement. it is your car, to have as you want it to be, correct or not, but don't say things like you did, about a man's age, state of mind, his parents, etc. you know nothing about mr. helfen, i don't know him other than reading his posts on the aaca forum, and i have come to have a great respect for his knowledge of old cars. i myself, have a 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, that will never be 100% correct, because of changes that i have made to the car to make it what i thought pontiac should have done in 1953, and i will accept other's statements or judgements that things are not correct, and so should you. you owe mr. helfen a sincere apology, nothing less. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

well i must say that i find your response to mr. helfen was very wrong. mr. helfen was completely correct in asking what your plans were for the 1950 pontiac, you do have a very nice driver quality pontiac, that has had things done or added to make the car incorrect, now if you can't stand educated, constructive questions about your car, i'm sorry, but this forum is one of the best collective of old car experts and novices, i read every one of helfen's statements #1 thru #6, and he is correct. the aaca is about cars and other vehicles being kept or restored back to what it was the day it rolled off the assembly line, now ask yourself, "does my car look just like the way it was when pontiac built it in 1950 ?", the answer is no, but as helfen said, your car is worthy to have that restoration done, that is a very positive judgement. it is your car, to have as you want it to be, correct or not, but don't say things like you did, about a man's age, state of mind, his parents, etc. you know nothing about mr. helfen, i don't know him other than reading his posts on the aaca forum, and i have come to have a great respect for his knowledge of old cars. i myself, have a 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, that will never be 100% correct, because of changes that i have made to the car to make it what i thought pontiac should have done in 1953, and i will accept other's statements or judgements that things are not correct, and so should you. you owe mr. helfen a sincere apology, nothing less. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I could not agree more.

I see rust on the left side of the dashboard.....I guess that part was not restored. "Restored" means that it was brought back to it's original configuration/materials/colors....clearly your car is NOT.